Photo

Looking to survive? Here are some updated tips to help you out...

22 replies to this topic

#1 TiceDaurus

TiceDaurus

Forum Survivor

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:01 AM

Ok, for some of the bright people here, you've realized your fodder for other people on the servers and the undead love to eat your brains, right?  So you've gone here to get some tips and hits to and read the older guides from Rick and others, but you still seem to die constantly?

Trust me, I go through this regularly.  Hell, my KDR right now is 0.03.  I've died over 2000 times from the undead.  But it doesn't mean I can't depart some wisdom and advice from what I have learned.  With that said, here are some things to help you better so you're not an easy mark from someone...(trust me, I might be recapping stuff that other people have said, but it bears repeating)

1)  So you're starting out fresh, you've got nothing on you except a case of bad breath.  No worries, dying is a part of the game.  People will say this a thousand times and a thousand times more - do not get attached to your gear.  I've spawned right into a place where hunters are waiting for you to step off a beach or in a wooded start area.  It happens.  But you will die a lot in this game.  So get used to it.

2)  When you do come in fresh for the first time or the thousandth time, get into cover quick.  Brush areas,  dry riverbeds, trees, heavily wooded areas are your friend.  Never run in the open, that's a n00b 101 mistake right there.  Find cover as quick as you can.

3)  When you do spawn in, watch the entrant screen telling you how many of each class are on.  It will also tell you what area you are in.  If you have been to the area before, then try to remember what is where, like what city is closest.

4)  People will tell you that the essentials are needed first, a pistol or weapon, or basic stuff like food or bandages or basic equipment.  Yes that is all well and good, but the first KEY item you will need to surviving is a MAP.  Why?  Because it will give you your basic location of where you are.  Once you have a map, size it down to where the whole map is on the screen for whatever server you are on, and screen shot it.  Then you can get an copy of it so you can figure out where you are at by possible landmarks, even if you do not have an actual map on hand.  You can use that map to figure out what possible city you might be closest to, and that way you can better get a clue as to where you are.

5)  There are small towns and then their are big cities.  Small towns, you might stand a better chance of possibly not running into someone, but if the server has a good amount of people on it, you can bet your bottom dollar that a big city will have several people running around in it.  But how to know if you have someone running around in either a small town or a big city???

Simple...watch for zombies.  We call them zeds for short.  If you see a lot of zeds running around, you can bet your bottom dollar that there are other players in the area.  So if you see zeds in the area, there are players.  Also, another key is loot.  If you see loot spawned in an area, loot only spawns when there has been a player in the area for a bit, approximately 1-2 minutes.  If you see loot and zeds, there are definitely players in that area, so be alert.

6)  Which leads me to another thing entering a city.  Don't be all in a rush to run into a place and start looking for loot.  Even if you do not have a pair of binoculars or better yet, or a nice rangefinder, you can still use your right mouse button to squint and try and see if there is someone in the area.  If you see zeds running around in the town, you gotta bet there is another player in the town.  Be patient, and stick to that cover.  Give it some time, scout around the area carefully around the town.  Even better yet, find high ground, like a hill that can overlook the town and take your time to scout the town as much as possible before entering the area.

7)  Once you are in a town, keep moving.  Never stay still.  Move from one house or location to the next, but keep scanning the area.  Never allow yourself to walk right down the street.  Always use a house or a shed or a building for cover and stick close to it.  If a house has bushes or shrubs, use that for cover and move quickly from cover to cover at all times.

8)  If you are by yourself or even in a group, always use a melee weapon if possible in a small town to kill the zeds if you have to, and then once they are killed, search them and then if you can hide the body or bodies if possible.  Never use a pistol or rifle to shot the zeds, unless it can't be helped.  Why?  Because....SOUND CARRIES.  If you fire a shot, you can hear it for up to a mile.  So if you got a group of hunters looking for prey, and they hear single shots, it's like sounding a dinner bell to a hungry kids, or a better analogy, it's like blood in the water for a bunch of sharks.  STAY SILENT as much as possible in a town.  Leave no traces and hide your presence as much as possible until there is no other way to avoid it.

9)  For players who are by themselves...try to stay away as much as possible from big cities or high traffic areas.  What else are high traffic areas?  Areas that have railways, docks, firehouses, military bases, and most importantly airfields.  Why there?  Because those areas have better loot.  Do you want better loot?  Absolutely!  Who doesn't?  But when you are starting out, and you are on your own, going into one of these areas by yourself all alone is risky as hell.  You know these areas will attract other players looking for good gear.  People on the edge.  Or hunters or outlaws or other baddies who will scope out an area with a high powered rifle and watch for people to slowly waltz in and enter in so they can take a pop shot at the front door as you try to enter. 

10)  Which brings me to my next topic...groups.  To survive, if you are a ranger or a survivalist or even a nomad, you better get working as a group.  You are the meat on which the baddies are going to want to eat.  So make friends.  Use that ranger or nomad chat, or survivalists work with your fellow rangers or nomads to work with the good guys.  Why?  Because you know damn well that survival is better in groups.  Being alone is sometimes fun, to see how long you can survive without getting killed.  I once made it alone on a particular server for over 18 days with not one bit of help from anyone.  Sure, it's fun to test yourself to see how long you can make it on your own, but you will be target for everyone else out there.

Find a buddy system, group together as it is your best chance for survival.  If you don't you are just asking for a bullet in your backside, because you know dang well that outlaws and hunters will be working against those n00bies who want to prey on people who are alone.  IT IS THEIR BREAD AND BUTTER.  So find a friend, chat them up on the chat, and try to work with people you see regularly on the server.

11)    Ok, so you're in town, either by yourself or in a group and then all of a sudden, you hear shots fired somewhere in town but you don't hear any bullets in your immediate area.  Getting anxious right?  Quickly assess the situation.  First, if they are stupid and firing off shots in the area, most likely killing off zeds or maybe other players who they caught unaware, try to listen for the sound in which direction the shots came from.  For example, you hear one shot, it will be harder to determine which direction it came from, but still not impossible if you are aware of your surroundings.  But if you hear a couple of shots, listen carefully.  Are they close or far?  In front of you, or behind or left or right of you?  Pay attention to those sounds!  Now if you are brave, you could investigate if you got a group to back you up.  But if you are by yourself, avoid conflict if and when you can.  Especially if you have on basic gear, and the shots you hear are multiple and quick repeating.  Can you take on a guy with a machine gun with a pistol in your hand?  Is that smart?  Remember the old saying from the movie The Untouchables, "If he pulls a knife, you pull a gun.  If he sends one of your guys to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue!  That's the Chicago way!"  ​Think first before you engage your enemy.

12)   Another bit of advice for people on ranger or nomad chat...I hate to say this, but it is true.  And I don't like to create suspicion, but it has to be said.  There are some people that love to cheat.  And they cheat in some that are in gray areas and some in black area.  In the black area, some players know that some people are using software to cheat to gain advantages.  I won't go into the details, but I will go in on how to recognize it.  If you are in an area that's in heavy foliage, hiding in cover, and you hear a car come up with a couple of door slams, and you look around and see guys coming straight for your position, click on record as quickly as possible with FRAPS or other software to record video of them coming straight for you.  If they find your location with no difficulty at all, and you know you are in deep cover....OR you are hiding on top of a tower hiding out and laying prone, and they come straight for you in less than a 20 or 30 seconds...chances are they are cheating using that software to cheat.  Report it as quickly as possible, and post it to the forums for review so that you can get it recorded so that it can be investigated, and file a report to have it looked into on the servers as QUICKLY as possible.  Do not wait.  ​The sooner the better so it can be investigated by staff.  If you wait too long, it makes it harder for the staff to investigate and see if that person is indeed cheating so they can overwatch and catch the cheaters again in the act.

Now what is the gray area of cheating?  This one is again, is kind of in a gray area.  I don't approve of it, but it happens.  What you might have is a group that gets together, and each one will be a different class, and they will all work together in a group.  You'll get a ranger, a survivalist, a nomad, an outlaw, a hunter, and maybe an independent class all working together as a group.  This way they can switch from targets to targets and most importantly...THEY CAN MONITOR ANY CHAT GROUP.  They can monitor ranger chat, nomad, outlaw, and hunter (again, not sure if they have chats for hunters) but that way they can work together to hunt rangers or survivalists out there, and the ranger or survivalist in the group can monitor the chats for activity, talk up the groups to see where people are working out of in a particular town, and then once they know where someone is, they can say "Hey, let me give you a hand!  We're on our way!"  And then send in the hunters/outlaws to hunt and track them down and kill them.  It's an underhanded tactic and it's been known to happen.  How to combat that?  Don't post info on a ranger chat or nomad chat as to where you are.  Unless you are doing it because you are trying to sucker in some action so you can kill hunters or outlaws for points and you have a very large group to do it.

Again I frown on this as it really defeats the purpose of the game, but it happens and it's a part of life.  There is always going to be some jerks who have to do this to take in unsuspecting players.  The best bet...try to find a city to meet up in, group up as quickly as possible, and gather in as many of the good guys as you can that you KNOW into a large group to combat against others from preying on you if you were alone.  Also, this is not officially banned or a true cheat per say, but I'm about the purity of the game.  But as some have pointed out, this is not cheating, but again some will say yes, others say no.

But there is cheating...duping stuff is a NO NO, using exploits in the game is a no no.  If you find an exploit, report it, and don't do it again.  If game staff sees you doing it more than a couple of times, they will possibly ban you for it.  Inserting code into the game to cheat is a definite NO NO.  Using specific game software to also 'game the system' is a severe NO NO, and it's an insta-ban if you are caught.

13)  Ok, so say you are now in a group and you are working together to clear a city for loot to share and help your group.  Whether it be food or healing, know that you can get points not just from killing, but from healing, giving water to other players to help them out, or gutting animals.  Rangers get points for healing as well as survivalists, so have one guy with a healing kit or portable surgery kit if possible.  Survivalists get points for gutting animals and I think even nomads get points for giving out water to other players.  The points aren't as much as killing the other players, but hey, they are points.  You also get points for destroying other players caches, so if you are a ranger and you find a hunter cache, if you can destroy it with a IED or burning a crate, take those points.  Of course the same goes for the other guys.

Now I haven't played too much of the bad guy classes, but the same goes for them as well.  Working together will allow you to get points faster than just killing people.

14)  Which leads me to stupid people.  Don't just quick fire at every person you see!  Well, unless if you are a hunter, then you don't give a crap.  If you are ranger or a survivalist or a nomad, watch and check your fire first if you can.  I know it sucks, but happens.  I've had rangers shoot at me and be stupid, and then later complain why they lost a ton of points.  Don't be a moron....unless you want to be a traitor and be hunted by everyone, if you are ranger or survivalist or nomad, check your fire and see who it is first before firing!  Yes, it might give you a disadvantage, but you won't be like me, who was level 3 and had a ton of points, and then got trigger happy, and now I'm a level 2 ranger.

Oh and if you are wondering, there is a difference between a survivalist level 3(who has on wheat colored ghille camouflage suit) and an independent class, who can wear all different types of clothing, and steal a ghille suit, which is a dark green ghille suit.  Check your fire and make sure who you are shooting at if possible if you play a good class!

15) Finally...combat.  If you do find yourself in combat....RUN FORREST....RUN!!!  Especially if you are alone!  "He who runs away, lives to group up another day and then hunt down the suckers who shot at you."  Sage advice to live by.  But if you have to run, if possible run in an zig-zag pattern and keep running as much as possible.  Don't stop running until you know have a really good sizeable distance from whomever is shooting at you and find cover quick.  If you are bleeding, try to quick bandage if possible if you know you have a good distance from you and you are in cover behind a building.  Not a fence or a bush.  A tree if need be, a brick wall, a building, a car or truck for short term cover.  But heal quickly, bandage up, and then if you know where they are, fire off some shots to keep them in cover so you can keep running, and remember to run as fast as possible!  Once you know you have put great distance between them, cut to the left or right and find some good cover to hide in, hit that heal button, and then if you have to combat log and come back later if you have to...jump to another server to play around there for an hour or two, and then if possible, come back to the original server, heal some more, and log again, or put more distance away from the city or town you were in.

Now if you are in a group, you might decide to stick it out.  Don't bunch together!  Try to use overwatch cover to slowly move up and attack if possible.  Or if you are taking shots, have one guy keep firing to make them think that they are getting fired on, while others can flank around and hit them from the sides or behind.  Or if you got an arsenal...well, there is always the might of fire through superior firepower, and just keep firing to suppress their fire, so your guys can move in and hit them from wherever they are.  Also, if you can, always keep the high ground.  Never give that up, because it's harder to fire up moving up a hill than it is to lay prone and shoot downwards.  Even if you have more numbers, know your surroundings as to if it's attackable or if you would be better off letting them run away and then pick your ground to battle on.  In combat, if you rush headlong into a battle, you're bound to wind up dead quick.  Be smart and work together in combat, via voice chat or group chat.

Now what if you are alone and you're faced with no choice but to shoot it out?  Say you're trapped in a building, or you just happen to run into someone and they see you?  You can try to run, but most likely, you're going to get shot.  It just depends on the situation.  But if you have to fight, then fight.  Keep moving around the person if it is close combat and try to flank their side to keep shooting.  Remember a moving target is better than a stationary target.

Another thing...don't stop shooting until you see your target fall down if you are in open cover.  Maybe you will get lucky and if he does kill you, you might do severe damage to where he bleeds out and dies in a few seconds later, unable to heal himself quickly enough.

Once you take that person down, reassess the situation.  Are you hurt?  if yes, get to cover and heal/bandage as quickly as possible.  If no, it depends on where you are and if you think there are more of them.  Always think there are more of them.  Err on the side of caution rather than greed to get the other guy's loot, and get out of there as quickly as you can.  Then once again, once you feel a bit more safe away from a town or an area where the combat happened, check yourself, heal/bandage, check your gear/reload, and put some distance away from you and the area if possible.

16)  Where can you find great gear?  Well we've covered this a bit, but I'll run down, where to find stuff.

- When I was first starting out, hotels are a great place for gear.  You can find some great stuff there.  In the earlier days, when there was only one map, we all went to Ranger Hotel.  Now, there are more maps.  Once you have a map, locate a hotel, they should have some nice gear there.  Check every room and area, as crates can be found anywhere.

- Now that the game has evolved a bit, firehouses have been added.  Here you can find some medium level gear.  Firehouses should be a good starting place for people with basic level gear to upgrade to, but again, be aware that baddies will be watching these places.  I've also hear rumor that if you are in a firehouse, a firehouse bell will go off indicating that a player is in the firehouse.  Be careful entering the firehouse and move in quick, get your gear, and move out of there quick.  Also, check the roof of the firehouse as gear can appear in crates there as well.

- Military bases will have medium level gear as well, but again, same thing, be careful approaching these places.  Also they have other gear that can be found via portable surgery kits, rangerfinders, and other gear that is highly valuable.

- Hospitals should have bandages, antivirals, and a possible chance to find other lower level gear, but some good loot can be found here.

- Airfields and airports should have medium to high level gear available, but know that these places will be watched like a hawk by baddies constantly or at least on a regular basis.  I highly advise not to approach these places on your own unless you are in a group of people you can trust.  Going on your own is for people who have a death wish, and I mean this because even if you are the best shooter in the game, you can't cover multiple areas of direction of fire if you are one against 3 or more people in a group.  This would be considered as high risk, high reward.

17)  Storing your extra gear?  Ok, say you've done well and gathered big gear.  Do you want to protect it and gather more as a backup?  You my friend need a storage place.  Since I was here early, all we had back in the older days was storage caches.  Each class could then make a military storage caches, and you can tell the difference depending on the crate/cashe.  If a ranger makes the crate, it's a dark green.  Survivalists and Nomads make crates where they can use some type of camouflage.  Hunter and outlaw crates are like a gray crate if I remember correctly.  Now, when you loot a crate, whatever you cannot carry or don't want to carry, you can burn that crate for points and you will need matches to burn a crate.  But be aware...when you burn a crate, it can be seen for MILES with smoke and fire, so it will attract attention and quickly.

The same will also go for destroying a safe in the open using an IED.  It will create a large explosion which will reverberate for miles.  Be careful when destroying a crate or safe.

Also please be aware that if you build a crate, cache, haven, or storage area, you have to put something into it before the server restarts.  I have been informed that if you do not, and the crate is empty at the end of a server restart, that storage area will disappear.  So always try to keep something inside of it, even if it is food or an item that is worthless, like a zip disk.

Now as for other storage regarding havens and other ways to store your stuff, I will admit, it's been a while since I've played and I'm getting back into the game, but I need more info.  If someone would like to supply that info, I will update this to add it in.

18)  So you got good gear?  Fantastic.  Now you need Transportation.  ​If you are looking for vehicles, ATV's are great for all terrain, but be careful driving them through fences or hitting them, they damage easily.  Cars are faster than pickup trucks, but they can roll easily, and can hold 4 people.  Pickup trucks are good and can carry up to 5 people in a truck, and have good storage, but also can roll easy and if you have people in the back, they can die if the truck rolls or be severely injured.  Which leads me back to if a vehicle rolls....if it does, hit V to get out of the vehicle as quickly as possible and get as far away from it as possible...there is a chance it can explode and if it does and you are too close, you will take damage from it exploding.  Also do not try to go back and recover or heal people right after a vehicle rollover, but if the injuries are severe, do so quickly as possible.  The closer you are to fire, it will damage you and you will die.  Now if the vehicle does not explode, be slow and carefully approach the vehicle.  First if you can, heal serious injuries.  Afterwards, if you and your group can do so (aka you are not involved with combat and it is safe to do so), there should be an action to roll the vehicle over.  If it appears, you can roll it over, and it is advisable to keep spare repair parts on hand to repair the vehicle.  It may take a combined effort to have 2-3 people or move depending on the size of the vehicle to push/rollover the vehicle.

Now, getting into the good transportation...the military hummer.  This is a nice vehicle which not only can it take some damage, it can run through some barb wire and airport fences and pretty well too.  The tires might take some damage, but it will still hold up.  And it might be resistant to some low powered rifles and pistols.  But high powered rifles can shoot right through them.  There is also an amphibious ability to one of the vehicles.  They are rare to find.  Note if you see one of these...the people that have these vehicles will most likely have top gear.  So watch engaging these people with great risk.  These can carry up to 5 or 6 people.

Finally...helicopters.  Helicopters are for the elite.  These people have the gear to keep these going and they most likely have top gear to take you down.  They are not to be trifled with, so if you are a tiny guy, hide behind a tree and move with the movement of the helicopter so they can't see you from a frontal direction.  Why?  Because some of these helicopters have infra-red.  They can locate players quickly if you are out in the open trying to hide.  Even if you are in a bush.  Using trees or buildings to hide behind so you can mask your heat signature. 

Helicopters come in four varieties, the first being the Cayuse, and it is quick and fast, but there is no storage to it.

The second is the SkyHorse, which has storage and can carry more people. 

The third one's is the StealthHawk, and may have infra red to possibly detect you, and it also carries gun turrets.  However, finding .50 caliber ammo for these is extremely rare to find for this.  Hopefully that can be fixed with Deathlyrage adding this into the mod in an updated patch soon.

The last one, the Merlin, which is the largest can carry a ton of storage and it can even carry vehicles.  And if you want to steal a good vehicle, this is the one to use if you can locate them, hover over it, and then attach a cable over the vehicle to carry it away.

Now per some additions passed along to me by others, there is some issues you need to know regarding bugs with vehicles:

A lot of current bugs are related to vehicles (vec) and then complicate tremendously their use for beginners. It's very discouraging because you can work your ass off gathering pieces for nothing.

Following: some bugs bypass and clues to know about vecs.

- Vehicle repairing is bugged (communication client/server). Adding/removing/repairing one piece can : 

* Work (vehicle "shake"), piece is added/on the ground/repaired depending the action.

* Not work (vehicle does not shake), but if the player goes to lobby, it works.

* Not work despite lobby, but if the player is trying another piece and success, the first piece can suddenly appears.

* Not work at all. Then it's advised to ask a team mate to repeat all steps (his com to server can maybe work).

==> repair in group vecs and take more pieces than needed. Be prepared to do multiple lobby/re-connections.

- Vehicle stuck in the ground on some specific surface, despite repair full ok (typically after a restart). APEX vecs seem to be not concerned.

* Pushing can help, not 100% ok.

- Pushing can unflip vecs. Several coordinated pushes are more efficient.

- Vec on fire will explode but not with the same damage radius. Putting a vec on fire needs gas can(full)+matches.

Gas can be refill on fuel station. A way to destroy damages vecs or defend against enemy vec too close. Powerful bait as well.

- Game crash (typically memory leak) when driving a vec can generate errors. Player reappears outside of vehicule and not always at the same location.

So when flying, it's advised to have 2 pilots and pilot commands unlocked just in case.

- Vecs container is usually big but not without bugs (during game and post restart). I would not rely too much on a vec to be a long-term gear container.

- Avoid any interaction with vecs the very few minutes before a restart. Same advice for any container.

- Avoid exchanging too much positions inside a vec. A bug related imply gear disappearing.

- Refueling vec with gas can is totally bugged. But you can also quickly refill by parking close to a fuel truck. Fuel trucks location is key information for helicopters long-term gameplay, since their fuel consumption is quite high.

- .50 cal box is the only way to refill vec onboard weapons. Not easy to find and be aware that you can't take back ammo after reload. And also next restart will empty the ammo ==> don't refill 5m before a restart.

- Arma physic means collisions with vecs can be very random. To be avoided by all means.

- Water insta-kill engine for non-amphibious vecs. Your chopper touch a little the water ==> it's over.

- One of the boat kill you when you're exiting it sometimes (on coast typically). It's not someone who killed you from a mysterious secret position, it's simply the boat (collision error when character re-appear I guess). It's the speedboat (which is not btw the fastest boat). 

Just to be clear about repairs it is the normally the last person that was in the drivers seat of the vehicle that needs to drop to the lobby not the person doing the repairs in order to help clear of possible bugs. If you are by yourself then either drop to lobby before or after doing the repairs both will work.

Also if no one has been in the vehicle since the last restart then it will repair immediately.

UPDATE:  IT has been brought to my attention that with the new .1720 patch, that you cannot "soft log" out to the game lobby and log back in, as there is now an error that kicks you back out completely once you hit ABORT to log out.  Also, per some people, the repair glitch seems to be fixed.  I am still testing this out to verify any changes and I will update this for you once I have solid info.

19)  Speaking of helicopters...here's a known trick.  If you happen to see an attack helicopter fly over and then crash...this is what's known as a crashed helicopter loot drop.  The server is pre-programmed to have once a server reset to have one or two of these crash and when they crash, they drop really good loot, like high end weapons and combat gear, like bullet proof armor vests.  Now, if the helo crashes right away, it will still be BURNING and it will burn for the 3 hours the server is on and once a server resets that crash will be gone.  Do not approach it too closely to the helicopter burning.  If you get too close, you get injured by the fire or worse, you pass out and if you do not have a group or someone to heal you, you'll die.   Some of the loot found there might be found far enough away from the crash that you can recover it.  However, some of the loot might be too close to the helicopter, and if you get too close, you could get injured or possibly catch on fire.

My suggestion, before you approach the area, scout the area heavily.  If you can see it, others can see it for miles as well as smoke carries in the wind.  Also note that there will be high end zombies with high end gear on them.  Aim for the head, not the body.  They bodies will be resistant to body shots, so you have to aim for the head to take them down.  These zombies will move fast and take you down so be careful approaching them.  Some might even be on fire.  So if they touch you while on fire, get as far away from them as possible and you will also now be on fire.  Get to water to put yourself out or drop to a prone position and roll on the ground to help put the fire out.

Once you feel it is safe to proceed and grab the loot at the crash site, get ready to move and move FAST.  Grab what you can as quickly as you can, and then get the hell out of the area as quickly as possible if you are alone.  If you are with a group, this is a great place to set up around the helicopter and ambush others.  So if you see this rare event happen, and if you are close to it, get there as quickly as possible, grab the good stuff as quickly as you can, and then get prepared for action.

Also there are loot drops from helicopters that will drop loot without crashing.  These are known as air loot drops.  They will emit a white smoke signal near the area, so if you get up on one drop prone quick and use the smoke as cover if you can, grab, and go as quick as you can.  Again very rare, and to find one is difficult, but possible.

20) Haven tutorial in a few steps (for new players) :

CREATION

A. Map choice: Altis is typically the map for havens - lot of options, easy loot, big map meaning your haven has more chance to survive raids.

Not Stratis ; it's extremely hard to find steel/fiberglass panel, very poor location choice, very easy to destroy it (vehicles everywhere).

Not Chernarus ; havens are not abundant, loot is harder to find,  some are bugged and most of the time no one is free.

New Haven and Esseker have havens as well, as I have run into the buildings on those where they look like a lootable building yet they are locked.

Tanoa and ThirskThirsk Winter do not have havens as they have not been set up yet at this time.

B. Location choice: a few factors need to be considered 

- Not a location with too much activity for safety reasons

- In the vicinity of constructions sites. The more the better (especially big ones looting colored bins). Typical for the 1st haven.

- Surrounding area ok for hiding vehicles/crates/caches

- *Risky but powerful in the long-term : close to a crash-site location. Same thinking for mil locations.

- Not too far away from re-spawn points

C. You need a big bagpack ASAP (at least british, easy to find on all military areas). Nomad lvl 3 is perfect for this task (nomad bagpack at all time).

D. You begin by creating open-world containers like military crates (easy) or caches (not easy) close to your targeted location. You can use a vehicle storage as well.

Since this is not a safe long-term solution, be prepared to move fast on the next steps.

E. You gather all material possible in the surrounding, with top priority on steel, and all blueprints.

F. You finalize by searching steel which will be of course the harder one to get (focus on bins). It's very hard to estimate but I would say 1 steel every 2-3 hours for new players.

G. When resources are ok, be prepared to not only create a locking kit but also a first container or item in the haven. Avoid any creation before a restart (preferably 15 minutes before a restart is not advisable to build anything, it might not save).

If your haven is empty (no container, no item) it will be deleted at restart. Also keep in mind that if your haven is not used during a long period of time (2 weeks ?) it will be automatically opened (destroyed ?) as well. Do you play often enough to justify all those efforts ?

H. Creation of the haven, using the locking kit BP, choosing a code. Immediate creation of a first container or disposal. Haven BP Wikia for more information. Your haven is full ok.

RELATED INFORMATION

- always lock when exiting of course.

- if a door is opened after a lock (zombies can do it), no worries your loot has not spawned so it's still completely fine. Loot is spawning after an unlock only.

- your haven can be reinforced, several times.

- your haven code can be found. It's possible to search the code manually, but it is of course a painful process (some people are still doing it, the amount of time needed is variable, at most 27,8 hrs for an attempt every 10s).

- your haven can be destroyed with explosives items or vehicle ignition explosions = typical raid. Haven look destroyed and after restart your loot is available for raiders.

- some bugs are haven related (people complaining that haven is opened after some restarts despite previous lock). 

- when the haven is unlocked (not necessarily opened), anyone with a toolbox can enter and destroy the lock in a few seconds. Be cautious of your surroundings.

- haven containers can be destroyed one by one in order to recycle some loot (useful during raids).

- best container is usually the gun cabinet and is the first priority after haven creation. Water/fuel containers are extremely useful as well.

- this gameplay is more oriented for teams than solo (gathering materials speed / safety / long-term purpose / regular activity against deletion scripts).

21)  Oh, on a side note, please don't do this... http://youtu.be/Z7yqVfT6V1I

This happened last night....thanks Dark Lord!  It was us making a mistake and driving off the map by accident because we forgot where we were and didn't check direction.  If you happen to venture off of the map, you die.  So don't make a n00b mistake and do that.

22)  Reserved for future notes...

With this said, this is what I have learned from being on this game so far.  I hope what I have posted here will help you learn from my mistakes in battle.  Thanks for reading.

Tice Daurus

P.S. - if you want to share a tip, post it below!

P.P.S. - My thanks to MorphineBP for extra information provided to help with corrections and information that has changed since I have played as well as additional information I was not aware of...

#2 Rhapsodios

Rhapsodios

Breaking Point Extraordinaire

• 1453 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:15 AM

I mostly read the highlighted points, and I've just a couple additions:

• Report cheaters on our TeamSpeak helpdesk (ts3.thezombieinfection.com:9987).
  • Nvidia ShadowPlay (or whatever it is called these days on GeForce Experience) is, in my opinion, indefinitely better than any other capture software that you need to start manually recording with before you can actually capture footage. ;)

Other than that, great guide! Thanks for writing it, can't have too many of those.

Edited by Rhapsodios, 25 January 2017 - 11:16 AM.

#3 TiceDaurus

TiceDaurus

Forum Survivor

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

Thank you!  As I get time, I would like to add to it to add more things on there to help people so that they can learn the ins and outs of the game.

#4 MorphineBP

MorphineBP

Forum Juggernaut

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 488 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:25 PM

Ok, there is some stuff not accurate : 

- Crates are not changing color depending on classes (or not anymore). Cache maybe, but I doubt it. Differentiate crate/cache

- Vehicle flipped will not explode so easily. Instead of running away, just use push (together it's better) to flip it and use it again.

- Mixed team is not "cheating" at all. Not even "grey" or anything. Just a part of the game. You should not insert your subjective (mostly wrong) view of the game in your nice tutorial. Cheat is a strong word, keept it for duping, exploiting, code insertion. Not for using game mechanics.

- Traps using the ingame chat is a part of the game

- Traitor tactic is a part of the game

- There is no attack chopper in the game. Only 4 types of unarmed helis and no infrared on any of them. GhostH has turrets but finding and using .50 cal is a joke.

- Crashsite fire is lasting all 3hours and is not so dangerous (loot is away), you can loot immediately after a crash (everybody of course do it).

Suggestions : 

- weapons classes, sniper scopes management

- Havens and gathering materials (blueprints, locations, timer, bugs on current version)

- Amphibia, boats

- Heli dropping crates (different from crashsites)

- Supercrates system

- Faction objective explanation from hunter to surv. Points guide.

- Maps specialty (Stratis for hard PvP, Altis for big area/possibilities, Chernarus for Mix PvP/Exploration)

- Server cycle 0/3/9/12, pre-restart good practices 

- the difficult part : explanation about recent bugs (repair car / dogs taming / no pvp sound on some floors / instadeath from some boats / havens). 

Question :

This is a nice, very dense tutorial but... have you really played this mod recently ??

It's a little like the guy who's created a full sniper tutorial long ago, talking especially about winds effect... but there is no wind at all in BP since a very long time.

Good luck for this tremendous effort.

#5 TiceDaurus

TiceDaurus

Forum Survivor

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:34 PM

Ok, there is some stuff not accurate : 

- Crates are not changing color depending on classes (or not anymore). Cache maybe, but I doubt it. Differentiate crate/cache

- Vehicle flipped will not explode so easily. Instead of running away, just use push (together it's better) to flip it and use it again.

- Mixed team is not "cheating" at all. Not even "grey" or anything. Just a part of the game. You should not insert your subjective (mostly wrong) view of the game in your nice tutorial. Cheat is a strong word, keept it for duping, exploiting, code insertion. Not for using game mechanics.

- Traps using the ingame chat is a part of the game

- Traitor tactic is a part of the game

- There is no attack chopper in the game. Only 4 types of unarmed helis and no infrared on any of them. GhostH has turrets but finding and using .50 cal is a joke.

- Crashsite fire is lasting all 3hours and is not so dangerous (loot is away), you can loot immediately after a crash (everybody of course do it).

Suggestions : 

- weapons classes, sniper scopes management

- Havens and gathering materials (blueprints, locations, timer, bugs on current version)

- Amphibia, boats

- Heli dropping crates (different from crashsites)

- Supercrates system

- Faction objective explanation from hunter to surv. Points guide.

- Maps specialty (Stratis for hard PvP, Altis for big area/possibilities, Chernarus for Mix PvP/Exploration)

- Server cycle 0/3/9/12, pre-restart good practices 

- the difficult part : explanation about recent bugs (repair car / dogs taming / no pvp sound on some floors / instadeath from some boats / havens). 

Question :

This is a nice, very dense tutorial but... have you really played this mod recently ??

It's a little like the guy who's created a full sniper tutorial long ago, talking especially about winds effect... but there is no wind at all in BP since a very long time.

Good luck for this tremendous effort.

Hey Morphine! 

To answer your question, I used to play heavily a while back, stopped due to a dead PC, got a new one, and now I'm back playing, so some things have changed since I have played.

- As to some of the stuff you said was inaccurate, I will review it and make any changes needed to make sure the information is indeed accurate.  So if anyone knows of stuff in here that is not accurate here, post it here and I will review it, make sure it's indeed correct, and then correct it here so the guide can be updated.

- As to my view regarding using mixed teams, I do feel it's cheating, but I listed it as a 'grey area'.  Per Deathlyrage, he has not banned or said that it should not be allowed as to using mixed teams, and it's a tactic that is used, but I consider it a gray area for the purity of the game.  In real life, am I going to be working with a killer in this world with no morals to kill others?  Would I be sleeping knowing this guy could possibly betray me while I were to sleep?  No.  But this is a video game, and it's a video game tactic to 'game the system', thus it's illegal.  But that's again semantics for discussion, and it was my intention to warn new players to inform them that some groups do this to kill newer or dumber players.

- As to vehicles, if a vehicle rolls over, your suggestion is to just push it over?  How do you know it won't explode if the vehicle took severe damage?  You don't.  So if a vehicle does roll over, the smart thing is to immediately put distance away from you and the vehicle.  If the vehicle does not explode, then you can take a chance on rolling it back over and trying to fix it with repair parts.  Yes they may have changed the code here to make vehicles which have rolled over a better chance to survive an explosion.  But I would rather err on the side of caution and move away from the vehicle than stand next to that vehicle after it rolled over.

-  Yes you can take a chance to loot a crashed helicopter site as soon as you see it.  But sometimes, some of the loot is close to the helicopter.  And if that helicopter is on fire, you can possibly catch on fire or get injured from the intense heat.  So it is best to watch out and not approach if it is on fire.  But you take chances constantly in this game.  I will update that to reflect it.

-  There is an attack helicopter in this game, but it may not have the ammo on it.  I hope that Deathyrage will fix that so that helicopters can be armed, but include rocket launchers to possibly take down helicopters.

As to your suggestions, I would welcome any info on this so I can add it to my guide of information.

#6 Rhapsodios

Rhapsodios

• 1453 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:48 PM

There is an attack helicopter in this game, but it may not have the ammo on it.  I hope that Deathyrage will fix that so that helicopters can be armed, but include rocket launchers to possibly take down helicopters.

None of these look like an attack helicopter to me. ^^

#7 TiceDaurus

TiceDaurus

Forum Survivor

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:40 PM

None of these look like an attack helicopter to me. ^^

Well the StealthHawk has the profile of what I was thinking it was, but I'll take the word of the forum admin on that one.  I've updated the post to reflect the update.   Thank you for the correction Rhapsodios.

#8 MorphineBP

MorphineBP

Forum Juggernaut

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:08 AM

Dude, crashites are something very well experienced by players, they're spending their 3 hours looking for them endlessly.

If I say it stays on fire during the all 3 hours... you can believe me... 

Asking them to wait is then ridiculous ^^

Another critical advice for new players : 

- you must play accordingly to server timer. e.g : if you create a crate before a restart and don't populate it ==> It will be deleted and not there the following session.

Same for havens. People can spend a week of farming for nothing if they don't think about restart time (and are unlucky).

#9 TiceDaurus

TiceDaurus

Forum Survivor

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:25 PM

Dude, crashites are something very well experienced by players, they're spending their 3 hours looking for them endlessly.

If I say it stays on fire during the all 3 hours... you can believe me... 

Asking them to wait is then ridiculous ^^

Another critical advice for new players : 

- you must play accordingly to server timer. e.g : if you create a crate before a restart and don't populate it ==> It will be deleted and not there the following session.

Same for havens. People can spend a week of farming for nothing if they don't think about restart time (and are unlucky).

No I believe you Morphine.  You have to forgive me, I remember when crash sites were on fire for a while and then they burned out and just smoked for a bit in the earlier days.  I confirmed what you said last night when I played and I found a crash site and it was still burning after 3 hours straight, so you were and are correct.

As for the crate and haven advice, that's also good to know, as that has also changed since I was playing a while back.  I'll definitely add that into my guide above.  Thanks for looking out for me and making sure my info is correct!  :-D

#10 MorphineBP

MorphineBP

Forum Juggernaut

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

A few additions :

A lot of current bugs are related to vehicules (vec) and then complicate tremendously their use for beginners. It's very discouraging because you can work your ass off gathering pieces for nothing.

Following: some bugs bypass and clues to know about vecs.

- Vehicule repairing is bugged (communication client/server). Adding/removing/repairing one piece can : 

* Work (vehicule "shake"), piece is added/on the ground/repaired depending the action.

* Not work (vehicule does not shake). Go to driver place, then exit. Go back to lobby, reconnect and it should work.

* Not work despite lobby, but if the player is trying another piece and success, the first piece can suddenly appears.

* Not work at all. Then it's advised to ask a team mate to repeat all steps (his com to server can maybe work).

==> repair in group vecs and take more pieces than needed. Be prepared to do multiple lobby/re-connections.

- Vehicule stuck in the ground on some specific surface, despite repair full ok (typically after a restart). APEX vecs seem to be not concerned.

* Pushing can help, not 100% ok.

- Pushing can unflip vecs. Several coordinated pushes are more efficient.

- Vec on fire will explode but not with the same damage radius. Putting a vec on fire needs gas can(full)+matches.

Gas can be refill on fuel station. A way to destroy damages vecs or defend against enemy vec too close. Powerful bait as well.

- Game crash (typically memory leak) when driving a vec can generate errors. Player reappears outside of vehicule and not always at the same location.

So when flying, it's advised to have 2 pilots and pilot commands unlocked just in case.

- Vecs container is usually big but not without bugs (during game and post restart). I would not rely too much on a vec to be a long-term gear container.

- Avoid any interaction with vecs the very few minutes before a restart. Same advice for any container.

- Avoid exchanging too much positions inside a vec. A bug related imply gear disappearing.

- Refueling vec with gas can is totally bugged. But you can also quickly refill by parking close to a fuel truck. Fuel trucks location is key information for helicopters long-term gameplay, since their fuel consumption is quite high.

- .50 cal box is the only way to refill vec onboard weapons. Not easy to find and be aware that you can't take back ammo after reload. And also next restart will empty the ammo ==> don't refill 5m before a restart.

- Arma physic means collisions with vecs can be very random. To be avoided by all means.

- Water insta-kill engine for non-amphibious vecs. Your chopper touch a little the water ==> it's over.

- One of the boat kill you when you're exiting it sometimes (on coast typically). It's not someone who killed you from a mysterious secret position, it's simply the boat (collision error when character re-appear I guess). It's the speedboat (which is not btw the fastest boat). 

All of this is I think the reason why you don't see very often vecs passing by, despite the fact that there are tons of vecs on each map.

Something like 75 for Altis (source : this forum). 

It's sad to see that those bugs not only are frustrating but also fairly advantage big teams with experience against noobs. Part of BP exp.

#11 BongSau

BongSau

Stone Cold Pimp

• Admin
  • 1629 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:46 PM

Just to be clear about repairs it is the last person that was in the drivers seat of the vehicle that needs to drop to the lobby not the person doing the repairs. If you are by yourself then either drop to lobby before or after doing the repairs both will work.

Also if no one has been in the vehicle since the last restart then it will repair immediately.

#12 TiceDaurus

TiceDaurus

Forum Survivor

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:57 PM

Thanks guys for this awesome info.  I actually remember experiencing some of this and I'm still wondering why this hasn't been fixed yet for bugs.  I'm going to copy this word for word and add this into my section for vehicles.

#13 MorphineBP

MorphineBP

Forum Juggernaut

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:34 AM

Those bugs will maybe be fixed for the 2017 public release ?

It can only hope for it.

#14 MorphineBP

MorphineBP

Forum Juggernaut

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 488 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:57 AM

Haven tutorial in a few steps (for new players) :

CREATION

1. Map choice: Altis is typically the map for havens - lot of options, easy loot, big map meaning your haven has more chance to survive raids.

Not Stratis ; it's extremely hard to find steel/fiberglass panel, very poor location choice, very easy to destroy it (vehicles everywhere).

Not Chernarus ; havens are not abundant, loot is harder to find,  some are bugged and most of the time no one is free.

No advice for remaining maps (Tanoa / Thirsk / Thirsk winter / Esseker / New haven)

2. Location choice: a few factors need to be considered 

- Not a location with too much activity for safety reasons

- In the vicinity of constructions sites. The more the better (especially big ones looting colored bins). Typical for the 1st haven.

- Surrounding area ok for hiding vehicles/crates/caches

- *Risky but powerful in the long-term : close to a crash-site location. Same thinking for mil locations.

- Not too far away from re-spawn points

3. You need asap a big bagpack (at least british, easy to find on all military areas). Nomad lvl 3 is perfect for this task (nomad bagpack at all time).

4. You begin by creating open-world containers like military crates (easy) or caches (not easy) close to your targeted location. You can use a vehicle storage as well.

Since this is not a safe long-term solution, be prepared to move fast on the next steps.

5. You gather all material possible in the surrounding, with top priority on steel, and all blueprints.

6. You finalize by searching steel which will be of course the harder one to get (focus on bins). It's very hard to estimate but I would say 1 steel every 2-3 hours for new players.

7. When resources are ok, be prepared to not only create a locking kit but also a first container or item in the haven. Avoid any creation before a restart.

If your haven is empty (no container, no item) it will be deleted at restart. Also keep in mind that if your haven is not used during a long period of time (2 weeks ?) it will be automatically opened (destroyed ?) as well. Do you play often enough to justify all those efforts ?

8. Creation of the haven, using the locking kit BP, choosing a code. Immediate creation of a first container or disposal. Haven BP Wikia for more information. Your haven is full ok.

RELATED INFORMATION

- always lock when exiting of course.

- if a door is opened after a lock (zombies can do it), no worries your loot has not spawned so it's still completely fine. Loot is spawning after an unlock only.

- your haven can be reinforced, several times.

- your haven code can be found. It's possible to search the code manually, but it is of course a painful process (some people are still doing it, the amount of time needed is variable, at most 27,8 hrs for an attempt every 10s).

- your haven can be destroyed with explosives items or vehicle ignition explosions = typical raid. Haven look destroyed and after restart your loot is available for raiders.

- some bugs are haven related (people complaining that haven is opened after some restarts despite previous lock). 

- when the haven is unlocked (not necessarily opened), anyone with a toolbox can enter and destroy the lock in a few seconds. Be cautious of your surroundings.

- haven containers can be destroyed one by one in order to recycle some loot (useful during raids).

- best container is usually the gun cabinet and is the first priority after haven creation. Water/fuel containers are extremely useful as well.

- this gameplay is more oriented for teams than solo (gathering materials speed / safety / long-term purpose / regular activity against deletion scripts).

#15 Rhapsodios

Rhapsodios

• 1453 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:26 AM

Thirsk and Tanoa lack buildings for havens altogether. On NH and Esseker I curse a bit each time I find a lootable building designated as somebody's haven. ^^

Nice guide. :)

#16 TiceDaurus

TiceDaurus

Forum Survivor

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:01 PM

Awesome info from the both of you.  I've added it to the guide.

#17 MorphineBP

MorphineBP

Forum Juggernaut

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:58 AM

One of the haven bugs is bad.

Your haven can be post-destroyed (loot here but no lock) randomly, without raid. It's obvious since everything inside is exactly like before.

Then you have to destroy all containers/items before re-creating a lock at the same place - a pain.

New advice would be : creating additional proximity cache outside in order to facilitate emergency transfers.

#18 Lolssi

Lolssi

Members

• Breaking Point Alpha Tester
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:36 AM

Thanks guys most helpful guide so far even if some info might be dated or that the guide assumes that there are plenty of people playing on the server (7 players is most active "my" server has been during my few days of playing). So I've been able to move without much danger.

Also thanks for the heads up about mixed groups, have to remember that.

Few questions:

Playing on Tanoa so Haven recipes are propably useless?

Where do you build military crate and other containers? Outside? Houses? Any suggestions on good locations?

Never seen warning for restart. I understand these happen every three hours?  What timezone or in game time? How long does one day take in game btw?

#19 TiceDaurus

TiceDaurus

Forum Survivor

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:07 PM

Thanks guys most helpful guide so far even if some info might be dated or that the guide assumes that there are plenty of people playing on the server (7 players is most active "my" server has been during my few days of playing). So I've been able to move without

Also thanks for the heads up about mixed groups, have to remember that.

Few questions:

Playing on Tanoa so Haven recipes are propably useless?

Where do you build military crate and other containers? Outside? Houses? Any suggestions on good locations?

Never seen warning for restart. I understand these happen every three hours?  What timezone or in game time? How long does one day take in game btw?

To my knowledge, havens do not work on Tanoa.
Building crates or caches, you want to find trees or bushes that will properly conceal.  For example, on the Chernarus map, you want to look for a pine tree that is in a level area.  If you put it on a inclined area, if you place the crate in the wrong place, it can be seen from underneath, and it's easier to spot.  Also placing a crate or a cache in a tree, you have to make that the crate or cache is not placed too into the tree trunk.  If it does, it could cause server errors and it is possible that an admin will delete the crate or cache.  They may send an e-mail to allow you to remove it or they may move or maybe even delete it for you.
Restart happens every 2 hours and 55 minutes.  Then there is a 5 minute layover so the server can force save new info and then restarts at the top of the new hour.

Moderator edit: Fixed quote, hope you don't mind.

Edited by Rhapsodios, 02 March 2017 - 09:37 AM.

#20 MorphineBP

MorphineBP

Forum Juggernaut

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:39 AM

All the part related to vehicles must be updated : it's not bugged anymore, no need to do the log in/out trick since 0.1720 update (03.23.2017).

Cheers !

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users