Shooting from water...

16 replies to this topic

#1 dav420

dav420

Forum Survivor

• Breaking Point VIP
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:55 PM

How do you get the gun to fire?   I used the search and someone said hold x, but it doesnt work :(

Sry it is hold X i had to log to make it work

#2 PatrickBateman

PatrickBateman

Forum Special Operative

• Breaking Point Alpha Tester
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:49 PM

Besides holding x, make sure the barrel and the magazine is out of the water. 

#3 Cazh

Cazh

eX Imperator

• 2811 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:13 PM

Don't forget to chop your balls off before donning the proper scuba attire, you won't need those from behind the safety of the bulletproof water threshold and there really isn't enough room in the scuba suit for them anyways.

#4 MorphineBP

MorphineBP

Forum Juggernaut

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 449 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 02:58 AM

I've done that a lot, you're totally at the mercy of the sea behavior, so when it's moving a lot you can't shoot unless the enemy is very high (for the angle).

Keeping the gun outside of water is not practical and can be dangerous. You can't heal in water, can't be healed.

Best thing is to stay super close to coast and quickly get off water to engage someone by surprise without any risk of water blocking. Use that with someone else on ground too, in case you've been spotted by someone waiting you to surface (some people are very good to spot you (exploit ?)).

Another strat is to use specific boat and using the passenger position to quickly fire after spotting someone from under water.

#5 Kovacs

Kovacs

Forum Juggernaut

• Senior Admin
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:22 AM

Id rather people didnt do it, as its essentially an exploit. While I wont be actively looking for people doing it, Im not gonna say you wont get punished if I am feeling like I am today.

#6 Tugboat

Tugboat

Tug Life

• 2629 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:35 AM

Id rather people didnt do it, as its essentially an exploit. While I wont be actively looking for people doing it, Im not gonna say you wont get punished if I am feeling like I am today.

Lol what? It's a game mechanic designed to work that way.

#7 Cazh

Cazh

eX Imperator

• 2811 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:43 AM

It is a pretty weak tactic though, especially those who sit near the coast on Stratis shooting freshies from their near-invincible position.

#8 DJTeschmi

DJTeschmi

Forum Juggernaut

• Breaking Point VIP
  • 994 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:52 AM

It is a pretty weak tactic though, especially those who sit near the coast on Stratis shooting freshies from their near-invincible position.

+1

Also, I didn't know that it is possible to shoot from the water except with a crossbow.
I already did the swimming tour of Stratis with scubasuit and can confirm that this scuba gameplay is pretty boring.

#9 Cazh

Cazh

eX Imperator

• 2811 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:01 AM

Yeah, a crossbow is the only way to shoot into the water or while underwater. Spread the knowledge.

#10 MorphineBP

MorphineBP

Forum Juggernaut

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 449 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:27 PM

Crossbow is working underwater ?.... omg....

That said, less people are doing this because of the bug "restriction 0' something,  kicking you out of the server when you manipulating rebreather or nato swim suit. This bug is quite recent.

#11 Rhapsodios

Rhapsodios

Breaking Point Extraordinaire

• 1436 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:22 AM

Yeah, a crossbow is the only way to shoot into the water or while underwater. Spread the knowledge.

And that's not an exploit? :mellow:

#12 Cazh

Cazh

eX Imperator

• 2811 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:56 AM

And that's not an exploit? :mellow:

Considering that there is a specifically set value of "canShootInWater = 1" defined for the crossbow by whoever implemented it, I am left to assume that it is a completely intentional feature of the weapon. It is also the only way to counter someone camping in the water, so in my opinion I would view it more as an anti-exploit; the fact that it can shoot in water is hardly exploitable as is.

#13 Tugboat

Tugboat

Tug Life

• 2629 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

Let's not confuse the terms "exploit" and "cheap". It's a cheap tactic, but by no means does it break any rules. It is a function of the xbow and the scuba suit to behave this way.

#14 Rhapsodios

Rhapsodios

Breaking Point Extraordinaire

• 1436 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:29 PM

Let's not confuse the terms "exploit" and "cheap". It's a cheap tactic, but by no means does it break any rules. It is a function of the xbow and the scuba suit to behave this way.

That's why I asked about the crossbow. I don't dig through the game files, but in this case it sounds like the setting was put it in use for it deliberately. In the end the weapon is already very niche use so it doesn't matter much. It's less cheesy than having SDAR at least.

Can't comment about the scuba, but abusing broken "functions" for an unfair advantage like shooting through otherwise unpenetrable walls or duping still is an exploit. Abusing some kind of bug like bypassing animations via glitch in order to stay virtually invulnerable while still being able to attack is definitely an unfair exploit... even if it carries drawbacks like preventing the offender from healing or is "difficult to accomplish".

Kovacs said it's essentially an exploit. What is pressing X actually supposed to do? If it does something that is not intended, don't abuse it.

#15 Cazh

Cazh

eX Imperator

• 2811 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:42 PM

That's why I asked about the crossbow. I don't dig through the game files, but in this case it sounds like the setting was put it in use for it deliberately. In the end the weapon is already very niche use so it doesn't matter much. It's less cheesy than having SDAR at least.

Can't comment about the scuba, but abusing broken "functions" for an unfair advantage like shooting through otherwise unpenetrable walls or duping still is an exploit. Abusing some kind of bug like bypassing animations via glitch in order to stay virtually invulnerable while still being able to attack is definitely an unfair exploit... even if it carries drawbacks like preventing the offender from healing or is "difficult to accomplish".

Kovacs said it's essentially an exploit. What is pressing X actually supposed to do? If it does something that is not intended, don't abuse it.

It's the "swim up" key, you do it to bring your character fully out of water. At this point you are technically vulnerable and I'm fine with that game mechanic, but what makes it extra cheesey is that the water is bulletproof (except for crossbow bolts) when you're not peeking. This is game design, however, and bohemia screwed the pooch on that one.

A proposed fix would be to enable that every gun can shoot in water by setting canShootInWater = 1 as the default value for every gun. This would certainly be more balanced for gameplay.

#16 DJTeschmi

DJTeschmi

Forum Juggernaut

• Breaking Point VIP
  • 994 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:57 AM

Are you sure that you can shoot through the water? In my opinion it was bullet proof before the visual update but now it's possible at least if the guy is not too deep inside the water. Not 100% sure, have to re-test it.

#17 MorphineBP

MorphineBP

Forum Juggernaut

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 449 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:47 AM

I proposed fix would be to enable that every gun can shoot in water by setting canShootInWater = 1 as the default value for every gun. This would certainly be more balanced for gameplay.

+1

Let's do it.

And a fix for "restriction 0" would be good as well since it's related somehow.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users