Photo

What does everyone find so great about Chernarus BP?

85 replies to this topic

#41 curtisebear

curtisebear

Members

• Breaking Point Alpha Tester
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:55 PM

Plenty of people have given many reasons why they dislike Cherno. I for one have explained it in detail and always get the same response of "its most pop its best" so i wasn't even going to bother. But if you insist here we go

- The combat is stale and repetitive. It always takes place in the same handfull of areas and considering that a lot of us have played it across 3 different games that is as boring as watching paint dry.
- It looks terrible. The arma 2 assets (foliage, terrain, infastructure and buildings) are all of a much lower resolution than the arma 3 ones.
- Non-enterable buildings. It most definitely has nothing to do with 3pp but rather enterable buildings add another dimension to gameplay and another hazard to worry about. BP is meant to hard and unforgiving and cherno is definitely easy mode in that regard
- The lighting is aweful. Once it gets dark any light source looks like a solar flare and you often get bugged black areas at the centre of fire etc.
- The spawn camping is out of control. For those of us who have actually experienced how good the end game can be in BP spawn shit fights just are not fun.
- Bulletproof bushes. They are everywhere on cherno and often ruin combat.
- Terrain friction values. There doesn't seem to be any and as a result any car can travel at max speed on any terrain making the roads near pointless. You can travel at the same speed on the sand, grass etc as you can on the roads meaning there are no choke points for vehicles.
- Damage to the community. Before cherno was released the player base was strong and was spread pretty evenly across all the maps that were on offer. This meant that it was easy to get some variety if you wanted. When Cherno was released a lot of large groups that were sick of cherno having played it to death already left and the pop is only now starting to get back to what it was.

Just remember that just because something is popular doesn't mean that it's good.

The community I come from focused on PvP and had minimal fighting on the coast. There were constantly squads roaming the map up north and looking for fights in places you won't see anyone for hours in BP. I have fond memories of having fights in spots like Black Forest, guglovo, mogilevka, pop ivan, novy lug, altar, zelen, pas susnovy, ptushka, grishino, and lots of other forests named by the community that fought there. It wasn't uncommon to crest a hill and see more than 10 bodies within a hundred meters of each other, much like you would find in balota ATC on BP. Gunshots were heard from much further. Guns were hard to find. Deer stands, barns, and castles all had significantly more value, which led to many more common travel routes and the extreme likelihood to run into other players in many places on the map. Sadly the mod only hosts servers in Sweden, and I moved to Japan, so I can no longer meet the ping limitations of the server or I would likely still be playing that mod (no offense to BP, this is the second best mod I have found).

While I do agree with you on spawn camping, lighting, bullet proof bushes, and terrain friction values, I don't understand why those issues could not be addressed besides the fact that all the "vets" bash chernarus on the forums regularly and supremely worship other maps. I personally have only tried altis and esseker of the other maps, and both of them seemed to have very poor layouts and further promoted 3rd person camping which I mentioned previously. I personally prefer not being able to enter many buildings if 3rd person is enabled because to me that promotes stale and stagnant PvP encounters.

So although your experience may be limited to fighting in the same few hot spots, many people have a much different experience with the map, and I would argue that the community and development/balance of the map is way more to blame than the map itself. I can assure you that the prime of BP that you remember on altis or whatever map could easily be rivaled if not outright surpassed by the experiences I have had on chernarus, especially considering many of the "highlights" and things people consider "intense" on these forums.

#42 Rhapsodios

Rhapsodios

Breaking Point Extraordinaire

• 1452 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:38 AM

Why this map? Because it evokes nostalgia for the good old days in Dayz Mod. It's not perfect, problems of map are already listed in the previous posts, but it is still the best for me, because its a good old gameplay of Dayz Mod, and i lovin it.

^ Indeed, I doubt anybody is blind to the problems of the map, at least the more obvious ones like messed lighting or "coastal deathmatch", as it is called.

I can assure you that the prime of BP that you remember on altis or whatever map could easily be rivaled if not outright surpassed by the experiences I have had on chernarus, especially considering many of the "highlights" and things people consider "intense" on these forums.

Originally, Chernarus is a pretty good map. I don't think I'm stepping on anyone's toes in stating that. Nobody would have fallen with it in the first place if it wasn't, after all. However, the many issues of importing it to Arma 3 causing actual problems and adjusting it to Breaking Point gameplay have taxed that original experience a lot. Loot distribution, havens and spawn balance (let's not forget some factions start with axes, grenades and guns and all that) matter a huge deal, and it's probably incredibly difficult or at least time consuming to tune it to the overall design of BP which was created for Altis originally.

The title of this topic was indeed about Chernarus in BP. In the context of the mod, it is quite a terrible map for various reasons that have been stated in this thread. But at the same time it is also a great map by its original design, and that's why the lot of us like it and we still play on it. Some of us can overlook some of the map's problems in BP while others cannot, and there's nothing wrong with either side in my opinion. 

However, personally I don't easily buy the kind of notion such as "adding this map ruined the community". I cannot stick to a single map, mode or even one game for very long, and I know I'm not alone with that kind of approach to gaming. To me, broken mechanics like dogs and strongholds becoming disabled mattered a lot more than any changes to map rotaitions ever. Players and groups are always subject to friction and breaking apart when features or added, removed or altered. Nothing new under the sky there. 

#43 Redux89

Redux89

Members

• 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:08 AM

newly implemented maps always get played the most, although like others said it is an old fav for a lot of people. I think when more maps are added we will see a big dip in the population on chernarus.

my fav maps in order

1. Altis (BP was made for this map)
2. Esseker (very atmospheric)
3. Stratis (faction system really shines on this map)
4. Thirsk (loot-boner)
5. Chernarus (old classic, nostalgia)
6. New Haven (independent to BP but low frames for me)
7. Namalsk (too loud ambient sound, havnt played much tbh)

Also going to add in that altis is basically full on eu 1-4 every day at peak time.

I would already be playing on the EU servers, but living on the West Coast of the United States my ping has always been horrible on them, like 250 to 300 or higher. I'm actually in the process of moving to the east coast right now, so we'll see if I get better pink laying on that side of the country.

#44 TheHectic

TheHectic

Members

• 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:04 PM

Admittedly, I started playing Arma on Chernarus... so I am a little biased.

That being said.  I feel conflicted about the "enter-able" building aspect that so many people have mentioned.  On one hand I like the detail/ "realism" feel of having a lot of enter-able buildings.  On the other hand, when on Altis, I dislike how most "urban combat" situations usually end up with trying to get someone out of a building or trying to get out of a building myself.  

This is probably why I like Chernarus, the most.  The flow of the map.  The low amount of enter-able buildings.  That "just right" size of the map.  All of these things lend themselves to the play style I enjoy most... roaming from town-to-town, by hopping from tree-line to tree-line, stalking groups/players over large distances.  These things feel much more organic to me on Chernarus.

For me, nothing else has even come close to Chernarus.  New Haven and Esseker are both excellent maps (with the exception of super dense foliage scattered all over) but the flow of the maps themselves leaves a bit to be desired.  Altis, well... I just don't like it for BP.  Altis is the best "wasteland" map, by far... but it just doesn't translate well to BP, in my opinion.  The other maps are just too small for my taste.

This is my personal opinion on Chernarus.  "To each his own."

#45 hafkl

hafkl

Forum Special Operative

• 110 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:08 PM

Admittedly, I started playing Arma on Chernarus... so I am a little biased.

That being said.  I feel conflicted about the "enter-able" building aspect that so many people have mentioned.  On one hand I like the detail/ "realism" feel of having a lot of enter-able buildings.  On the other hand, when on Altis, I dislike how most "urban combat" situations usually end up with trying to get someone out of a building or trying to get out of a building myself.  

This is probably why I like Chernarus, the most.  The flow of the map.  The low amount of enter-able buildings.  That "just right" size of the map.  All of these things lend themselves to the play style I enjoy most... roaming from town-to-town, by hopping from tree-line to tree-line, stalking groups/players over large distances.  These things feel much more organic to me on Chernarus.

For me, nothing else has even come close to Chernarus.  New Haven and Esseker are both excellent maps (with the exception of super dense foliage scattered all over) but the flow of the maps themselves leaves a bit to be desired.  Altis, well... I just don't like it for BP.  Altis is the best "wasteland" map, by far... but it just doesn't translate well to BP, in my opinion.  The other maps are just too small for my taste.

This is my personal opinion on Chernarus.  "To each his own."

I also started playing arma on chernarus, Im glad Breaking point forced me to play altis / esseker before cherno arrived. I am NEVER going back to that map.

People need to be patient with esseker and learn the spawns, then they'll see what a masterpiece it is compared to cherno. But I guess it's hard to learn old dogs new tricks.

#46 TheHectic

TheHectic

Members

• 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:50 PM

I also started playing arma on chernarus, Im glad Breaking point forced me to play altis / esseker before cherno arrived. I am NEVER going back to that map.

People need to be patient with esseker and learn the spawns, then they'll see what a masterpiece it is compared to cherno. But I guess it's hard to learn old dogs new tricks.

I don't see what this has to do with my post, other than you started Arma on Chernarus?  

Are you assuming I am one of the "people" you are referencing?

Are you assuming I am an "old dog"?

Are you assuming I don't know the spawns of Esseker?

I was simply trying to give my opinion as it relates to the thread topic... I thought I was clear about that.

#47 Rhapsodios

Rhapsodios

• 1452 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:59 PM

I also think that the foliage on Esseker is kind of TOO overgrown. Like I said earlier, I very much prefer New Haven but it's all but unplayable for me in certain parts of the map. >_<

#48 Alsutr

Alsutr

Members

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:33 PM

1. Altis (BP was made for this map)

I can't agree with you. I've been spawning stuck in textures in almost 50% cases playing undead on Altis.

#49 Guest_BulletToothTony_*

Guest_BulletToothTony_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:47 PM

I can't agree with you. I've been spawning stuck in textures in almost 50% cases playing undead on Altis.

Undead is only a relatively recent addition to BP so is bound to have bugs. The problem there is with the feature not the map.

#50 RandomMonk

RandomMonk

Forum Survivor

• 45 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:22 PM

That is an issue with the undead class, I believe. I always spawn in a structure 50% of the time no matter what map I play on.

#51 Malcain

Malcain

Forum Juggernaut

• 532 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:54 PM

Typical people psychology - most  have hard time adapting to something new. They don't even want to bother when they have a known easy alternative(cherno).

I've talked to a lvl1 ranger guy that gave a try Altis on EU#1. He has just began playing it and was already comparing it to cherno.
As example he complained about "plain terrains", "no forest", no place for "survivalist-style" e.t.c.
As I thought he didn't try to move out of central or East spawn area.

I offered him to spawn West and hid for West-NorthWest. He answered: "but when I watch my map - there is nothing Green".
- Go explore, and you'll see how much you're wrong.
He went there after he died in Central.

I think I managed to open his eyes.

Exploring Central and especially West part of Altis gave me so much memories! East has always felt too big and "empty" to me(but I like to take occasional trips there from time to time), so it all depends on people tastes.

P.S. From what I remember when I was new to Altis. Map look gives wrong opinion about the map itself. Green areas are meant to show Grass, not trees. The Map itself is good, but it gives wrong picture about Altis if you try to judge it only by watching the map.

So the answer to the thread is - people don't want to learn.

#52 Desolator

Desolator

Up Close & In Full Auto

• Breaking Point VIP
  • 1191 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:33 PM

Plenty of people have given many reasons why they dislike Cherno. I for one have explained it in detail and always get the same response of "its most pop its best" so i wasn't even going to bother. But if you insist here we go

- The combat is stale and repetitive. It always takes place in the same handfull of areas and considering that a lot of us have played it across 3 different games that is as boring as watching paint dry.
- It looks terrible. The arma 2 assets (foliage, terrain, infastructure and buildings) are all of a much lower resolution than the arma 3 ones.
- Non-enterable buildings. It most definitely has nothing to do with 3pp but rather enterable buildings add another dimension to gameplay and another hazard to worry about. BP is meant to hard and unforgiving and cherno is definitely easy mode in that regard
- The lighting is aweful. Once it gets dark any light source looks like a solar flare and you often get bugged black areas at the centre of fire etc.
- The spawn camping is out of control. For those of us who have actually experienced how good the end game can be in BP spawn shit fights just are not fun.
- Bulletproof bushes. They are everywhere on cherno and often ruin combat.
- Terrain friction values. There doesn't seem to be any and as a result any car can travel at max speed on any terrain making the roads near pointless. You can travel at the same speed on the sand, grass etc as you can on the roads meaning there are no choke points for vehicles.
- Damage to the community. Before cherno was released the player base was strong and was spread pretty evenly across all the maps that were on offer. This meant that it was easy to get some variety if you wanted. When Cherno was released a lot of large groups that were sick of cherno having played it to death already left and the pop is only now starting to get back to what it was.

Just remember that just because something is popular doesn't mean that it's good.

While I do agree with you on spawn camping, lighting, bullet proof bushes, and terrain friction values, I don't understand why those issues could not be addressed besides the fact that all the "vets" bash chernarus on the forums regularly and supremely worship other maps. I personally have only tried altis and esseker of the other maps, and both of them seemed to have very poor layouts and further promoted 3rd person camping which I mentioned previously. I personally prefer not being able to enter many buildings if 3rd person is enabled because to me that promotes stale and stagnant PvP encounters.

So although your experience may be limited to fighting in the same few hot spots, many people have a much different experience with the map, and I would argue that the community and development/balance of the map is way more to blame than the map itself. I can assure you that the prime of BP that you remember on altis or whatever map could easily be rivaled if not outright surpassed by the experiences I have had on chernarus, especially considering many of the "highlights" and things people consider "intense" on these forums.

I think it's mostly those who have been around for a long time who seem to really have an issue with the current state of the playerbase. You can't force people to a certain playstyle, true, but some of us have come to have a certain expectation of this particular mod and it's players, because BP wasn't always like this. A majority of the players didn't spend every second of their playtime fuckin around in spawn areas. We never saw BP catering to the casual because if people just want quick kills and mindless fun, there are lots of other mods they can choose. BP was never a mod for everyone. I mean this is called Breaking Point for a reason, right? Death is supposed to mean something. BP shouldn't be spawn, grab a gun, kill, then die and come back to life as if nothing just happened.

The players back in the day had a completely different playstyle and mindset. Most of us long time players know BP as providing an intense and hardcore experience, which, unfortunately, has gradually declined, to currently being almost nonexistent. That is why we complain about shit like bad spawn points and abundance of loot and ease of access to high tier weapons and poor placements of ranger barracks... and now, we complain about Chernarus, not just because it's a shitty map, but because it's bringing in even more players with a sort of playstyle which goes against what we remember BP standing for.

When you're 30+ minutes away from spawn, with all the shit you spent an hour looting, you fight differently than when you have some common as fuck gear you can find in every other suitcase, because you don't want to die. Anyone you meet far from spawn would be in the same situation as you, and play smart, because they don't want to die either. No one wants to start over from nothing after investing so much time in getting geared. The rush you get from that sort of PVP CANNOT, in any way, compare to the stupid shit that goes on in spawn today. I've never played a game before that made me terrified and try my best to preserve my life until I found BP.

Clearly not everyone feels the same way. People will play how they want. We get that, but again, those who complain are those who have been around for a while now, when the BP experience was a whole lot different. Most of the current players today could never last a week if they tried to play a year or two ago. The small portion of hardcore players from back in the day who are still around, will continue to miss the unique experience we used to have in this incredible mod, and we will continue to voice our concerns every time something comes along to threaten that.

#53 BongSau

BongSau

Stone Cold Pimp

• Admin
  • 1629 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:02 AM

I think it's mostly those who have been around for a long time who seem to really have an issue with the current state of the playerbase. You can't force people to a certain playstyle, true, but some of us have come to have a certain expectation of this particular mod and it's players, because BP wasn't always like this. A majority of the players didn't spend every second of their playtime fuckin around in spawn areas. We never saw BP catering to the casual because if people just want quick kills and mindless fun, there are lots of other mods they can chose. BP was never a mod for everyone. I mean this is called Breaking Point for a reason, right? Death is supposed to mean something. BP shouldn't be spawn, grab a gun, kill, then die and come back to life as if nothing just happened.

The players back in the day had a completely different playstyle and mindset. Most of us long time players know BP as providing an intense and hardcore experience, which, unfortunately, has gradually declined, to currently being almost nonexistent. That is why we complain about shit like bad spawn points and abundance of loot and ease of access to high tier weapons and poor placements of ranger barracks... and now, we complain about Chernarus, not just because it's a shitty map, but because it's bringing in even more players with a sort of playstyle which goes against what we remember BP standing for.

When you're 30+ minutes away from spawn, with all the shit you spent an hour looting, you fight differently than when you have some common as fuck gear you can find in every other suitcase, because you don't want to die. Anyone you meet far from spawn would be in the same situation as you, and play smart, because they don't want to die either. No one wants to start over from nothing after investing so much time in getting geared. The rush you get from that sort of PVP CANNOT, in any way, compare to the stupid shit that goes on in spawn today. I've never played a game before that made me terrified and try my best to preserve my life until I found BP.

Clearly not everyone feels the same way. People will play how they want. We get that, but again, those who complain are those who have been around for a while now, when the BP experience was a whole lot different. Most of the current players today could never last a week if they tried to play a year or two ago. The small portion of hardcore players from back in the day who are still around, will continue to miss the unique experience we used to have in this incredible mod, and we will continue to voice our concerns every time something comes along to threaten that.

Amen to that. It is the adrenaline rush of end game combat that we crave. Its all about risk vs reward and when your still in a spawn point, have only been alive for 10 minutes and only have a shotgun then you have nothing to lose.

If you haven't died at ranger joes with a supressed dmr after being alive for a week or more you haven't truly BP'd ;)

#54 Absolute

Absolute

Forum Juggernaut

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 732 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:20 AM

Desolator has summed up well why most of us love BP so much. Well put.

DonkeyShlong you made a great post about why you are not a fan of chernarus. I enjoyed reading it and getting a deeper understanding of why you have your opinion. I agreed with damn near all of it. The bullet proof bushes though im not even sure what ones those are. I had a turbo speed off from me in the forest the other day and cursed the terrain. 

If chernarus would go away I'd be fine with it. Altis is a great map imo, I'd just play that a ton. 

#55 Malcain

Malcain

Forum Juggernaut

• 532 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:56 AM

While we are at it, I would also notice the beauty of Altis. It's not only about PVP. A lot of people miss it, since 2 of 3 spawn points located in the most "plain" and thus a bit boring spots. 

#56 RussB

RussB

Members

• 7 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:57 AM

Chernarus remains the most popular map on most Arma III "survival" mods as far as I can tell. I started on Chernarus way back when the DayZ mod for Arma II was relatively new (AS 50's were still in-game) and have since spent hundreds of hours on the map. I'm sick of Chernarus tbh, but unfortunately that is where the population is in BP.

Plenty of people have already answered the question of why Chernarus is so popular now answer the question of how to populate the other BP maps/servers. I think it's a matter of offering incentive to actually play on these maps. Offer +% points on a particular server for a specific time? Events? There are a ton of ideas that come to mind it would just take scripting/advertising/work from the devs. Are any of the BP devs willing to put in the effort to revive the other maps/servers? Are there enough devs left to do the work?

With or without the devs doing anything then it would be hugely beneficial if large clans/groups of players simply populated and played a map of their choice other than Chernarus and agreed to split into rival groups and not dominate the map with sheer numbers. With enough population for healthy PvP on a map other players would get curious and give these maps a shot.    

#57 Redux89

Redux89

Members

• 7 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:33 PM

I think it's mostly those who have been around for a long time who seem to really have an issue with the current state of the playerbase. You can't force people to a certain playstyle, true, but some of us have come to have a certain expectation of this particular mod and it's players, because BP wasn't always like this. A majority of the players didn't spend every second of their playtime fuckin around in spawn areas. We never saw BP catering to the casual because if people just want quick kills and mindless fun, there are lots of other mods they can choose. BP was never a mod for everyone. I mean this is called Breaking Point for a reason, right? Death is supposed to mean something. BP shouldn't be spawn, grab a gun, kill, then die and come back to life as if nothing just happened.

Have my babies, Deso.

This shit is spot on.

#58 BadContrakt

BadContrakt

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 1777 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:22 PM

Lol? you removed my post stating about how the devs don't care about what we say? Why remove a post like that? Sure it isn't constructive, but indirectly, it can be considered constructive feedback. When we get zero response on a thread as hot as this one, it sure would be nice to get some form of a rebuttle from a dev regarding the thread and all of the concerns that are expressed in the thread.

I said in the post that was deleted that the devs don't care. And given all the posts I've seen in the last few weeks that cover important topics and common community concerns that have ZERO dev feedback, why am I going to be demonized for saying they don't care? How are we to be sure they do care? It seems to me that some of the things in this mod are there just because Deathly wants them there and for no other reason. And it also seems that some things that aren't in the mod aren't there because... Just because. The community wants it, they don't get it. The community doesn't want it, but are forced to deal with it in the mod.

This is a community run mod, and I, being a member of that community, would like some fucking response from the people who we support.

#59 RussB

RussB

Members

• 7 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:53 PM

Lol? you removed my post stating about how the devs don't care about what we say? Why remove a post like that? Sure it isn't constructive, but indirectly, it can be considered constructive feedback. When we get zero response on a thread as hot as this one, it sure would be nice to get some form of a rebuttle from a dev regarding the thread and all of the concerns that are expressed in the thread.

I said in the post that was deleted that the devs don't care. And given all the posts I've seen in the last few weeks that cover important topics and common community concerns that have ZERO dev feedback, why am I going to be demonized for saying they don't care? How are we to be sure they do care? It seems to me that some of the things in this mod are there just because Deathly wants them there and for no other reason. And it also seems that some things that aren't in the mod aren't there because... Just because. The community wants it, they don't get it. The community doesn't want it, but are forced to deal with it in the mod.

This is a community run mod, and I, being a member of that community, would like some fucking response from the people who we support.

I would be interested to see what the devs have to say to this. I'm not on this forum much at all, so I can't speak to the lack of dev response in the past, but some response such as "we plan on doing xxx" rather than just locking the thread would be nice. Yes, just locking the thread says you don't care to do anything about the legitimate concerns being voiced here.

#60 GasT

GasT

BAS

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 2059 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:36 AM

Something I would find interesting to know is if Cherno actually has brought in Donators or if its the old member base that pays for those servers to.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users