Photo

What does everyone find so great about Chernarus BP?

85 replies to this topic

#1 Redux89

Redux89

Members

• Breaking Point Alpha Tester
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:21 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love Chernarus.. I think it's a great map, but the fact that you can't enter like 80% of the buildings kills it for me. Am I the only one that feels this way?

#2 TeKproze

TeKproze

Forum Survivor

• Banned
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:29 PM

Chernarus sucks but there is RUSSIAN YOUTUBER so..

#3 BadContrakt

BadContrakt

Breaking Point Extraordinaire

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 1777 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:58 PM

Chernarus blows ass. The only reason it's so popular is because people who are coming from DayZ SA or Arma 2 are familiar with it and decide to play it on that map.

If they would only play Altis and see how much better it is, they would learn.

#4 Desolator

Desolator

Up Close & In Full Auto

• Breaking Point VIP
  • 1191 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:09 PM

lol i can bet a big ass argument is gonna ensue then this thread is gonna get locked. Cherno on BP is stupid. There's hardly anywhere to go and hardly any buildings to enter but i suppose this map was added to help bring in more players. It is mostly plagued with players solely fighting on the coast, which goes against the hardcore nature of what BP used to stand for, but to each their own i guess. 

#5 kuroi1988

kuroi1988

Members

• 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:21 PM

1. There's  no "wilderness spawns" 
2. You don't have to run very far to find a village/town and thus loot to atleast get you a map and compass some basic gear, enough to defend yourself if nothing else. 
3. Very easy to orientate yourself and to pinpoint where your friends are. 

I guess I am going to catch a shitstorm from the people who want the high end fights around military loot.

Here's the thing tho, I detest running 20-30 minutes to find a specific "military complex area" only to fight guys that have been camping there. 
I prefer to fight people with low end weapons that are kinda in the same situation you are (looting up or actively searching for others on foot)
rather than sitting in bush X or on hillside Y because they''ve been to the area a thousand times and knows exactly which bushes gives a vantage point over which treeline. 
Then again, I am a solo player for the moment ^^ maybe that influences my reasoning to some degree. 

There's realy not that many buildings to enter on esseker either. Bornholm and New haven have a really weird layout IMO. thus I roam on chernarus ^^ 

#6 Redux89

Redux89

Members

• 7 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:06 PM

lol i can bet a big ass argument is gonna ensue then this thread is gonna get locked. Cherno on BP is stupid. There's hardly anywhere to go and hardly any buildings to enter but i suppose this map was added to help bring in more players. It is mostly plagued with players solely fighting on the coast, which goes against the hardcore nature of what BP used to stand for, but to each their own i guess. 

^ That is the worst thing about this mod by far. I'm not sure when exactly it happened, but something changed in the community that drove away a lot of the people/clans that used to make a point to setup havens & try to control the entire server/map.. Nowadays it's just kids running around like this is Battlefield or something.. Run & gun, die & respawn. No tactics, no "end game", grab the first gun you see and start shooting wildly.

I didn't really create this thread with any intentions on turning it into an argument, just curious what so many people find appealing about Chernarus when all the buildings are just props that you can't enter.

2. You don't have to run very far to find a village/town and thus loot to atleast get you a map and compass some basic gear, enough to defend yourself if nothing else. 

I guess I am going to catch a shitstorm from the people who want the high end fights around military loot.

Here's the thing tho, I detest running 20-30 minutes to find a specific "military complex area" only to fight guys that have been camping there. 
I prefer to fight people with low end weapons that are kinda in the same situation you are (looting up or actively searching for others on foot)
rather than sitting in bush X or on hillside Y because they''ve been to the area a thousand times and knows exactly which bushes gives a vantage point over which treeline. 
Then again, I am a solo player for the moment ^^ maybe that influences my reasoning to some degree. 

There's realy not that many buildings to enter on esseker either. Bornholm and New haven have a really weird layout IMO. thus I roam on chernarus ^^ 

I would definitely agree that being a solo player changes your playstyle quite a bit and you are completely right about not wanting to go to a high-end area that you know people are camping when you are by yourself. I personally still go to those places even when playing solo, but that is simply because I absolutely hate sitting on the coast or near fresh spawn areas. I would rather get into a massive fire fight and die trying to win a 1v5 than sitting around the coast killing dudes running around with hatchets and Makarovs one by one. Plus, if you do win that 1v5 you are a total badass.

Find a group to play with. This mod is so much better when you have a few buddies you can rely on watching your 6.

#7 ArchMadman

ArchMadman

Forum Special Operative

• 128 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:09 PM

i mostly rely on killing other players for better gear since quite a bit of people that load up go back south, if you find them then that good weapon is yours

#8 Rosco

Rosco

Silly Bugger

• 617 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:49 PM

I played Chernarus as my 5950 point hunter just to grab a gun and get a kill so i could log out with 6000 points never to return.

Then a few days ago my team mate says "hey, Altis is dead, lets play Chernarus, its nearly full". I die and now my hunter is back to 5950 points, therefore - screw Chernarus.

But really, the only attraction to playing an outdated map I can see is people coming from DayZ who are familiar with it.

I figure the intention was to get people from DayZ/SA to try Breaking Point. Unfortunately they didn't get the memo that its 2016 and we have had Altis/Stratis for some time now.

Altis4Life, until....

..TANOA, TANOA, TANOA !! (chanted Haka style)

#9 Rhapsodios

Rhapsodios

• 1452 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:10 PM

Remember folks, you cannot force other people to a certain playstyle. You can only choose how you approach the game, and that goes for maps too. Chernarus is about just that; another option for those who fancy it. I don't believe it's degrading anyone's experience of the mod in any way at the moment, and I bet everyone who frequents the map is having a blast because I believe they simply enjoy the playstyle and tempo that the community as a whole has adapted to on that map over the years. 

Things I prefer about Chernarus is that it feels slightly easier on the more casual solo player; there's a lot of concealment over long range. On bare and open maps like Altis I often feel very exposed and it tends to limit the number of risks (and rewards) I take and thus leads to less exciting gameplay. Large forests make it fairly easy to not only escape from spawn kill deathzone or find a relatively isolated village to get some civvie gun or basic equipment, but also make it easy for lone players to move between the high traffic areas like the airfields and the cities. Distance between NWAF, or just the inland barracks towns, and Elektro for example feels a lot shorter to me than trampling all the way to Ghost Hotel.

If you are able to bring a teammate or whole group with you, Chernarus probably gets boring quickly because the odds of finding some people to kill in the woods and the villages you pass while traveling to your destination are very low, and the number of those points of interest is even lower. That said, it's relatively easy to group up with players in the heavily populated areas for some oldschool PUG style play. These days I find that particular playstyle lacking across the whole Arma survival mod scene so I relish every chance I get to cooperate with allied faction players, as this mod allows and even rewards just that. Staking the big cities with low-tier scavvie weapons with players who you only know through the faction radio is a fun, sometimes even immersive experience, and it hasn't yet gotten old for me.

#10 JamesDJones

JamesDJones

Forum Juggernaut

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 349 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:16 PM

There is a reason people like that map. It's because it fills real. It flows well. It offers lots of diversity in the city / road layout it is after all made after a real place BI were so dedicated to making that map as true to the real place as they can with in reason. The whole zombie apocalypse gameplay was pretty much born into that map. But there is not much interior of building BUT that just makes it a bit harder to find loot witch is OK with me. But all in all I'm sick of it but it cannot be denied that it is not layed out well.

#11 DBT

DBT

Manual Cleanup Script

• Head Admin
  • 1392 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:29 PM

newly implemented maps always get played the most, although like others said it is an old fav for a lot of people. I think when more maps are added we will see a big dip in the population on chernarus.

my fav maps in order

1. Altis (BP was made for this map)
2. Esseker (very atmospheric)
3. Stratis (faction system really shines on this map)
4. Thirsk (loot-boner)
5. Chernarus (old classic, nostalgia)
6. New Haven (independent to BP but low frames for me)
7. Namalsk (too loud ambient sound, havnt played much tbh)

Also going to add in that altis is basically full on eu 1-4 every day at peak time.

#12 Desperado070

Desperado070

Members

• 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:10 AM

Simple answer to a simple question: Chernarus...

Chernarus stole a lot of hearts in arma 2, especially after the dayz mod really started to kick off.

After that the dayz standalone, and yes if you are 1 of the arma 2 / dayz mod / dayz standalone players, you love chernarus.

Unlike any arma 3 map Chernarus has real mountains, real citys and real forests.

The only reason i hate Chernarus is because not all buildings are accessible, especially in citys is this a big deal for me.

If Chernarus was like how buildings are in altis, I would love it tho...

#13 BongSau

BongSau

Stone Cold Pimp

• Admin
  • 1629 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:16 AM

Simple answer to a simple question: Chernarus...
Chernarus stole a lot of hearts in arma 2, especially after the dayz mod really started to kick off.
After that the dayz standalone, and yes if you are 1 of the arma 2 / dayz mod / dayz standalone players, you love chernarus.
Unlike any arma 3 map Chernarus has real mountains, real citys and real forests.
The only reason i hate Chernarus is because not all buildings are accessible, especially in citys is this a big deal for me.
If Chernarus was like how buildings are in altis, I would love it tho...

What do you mean by Chernarus has real mountains, forests and city's? Altis and Stratis have all of those things too. Like Chernarus they are both based off real world locations.

#14 Rhapsodios

Rhapsodios

• 1452 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:38 AM

What do you mean by Chernarus has real mountains, forests and city's? Altis and Stratis have all of those things too. Like Chernarus they are both based off real world locations.

With the difference that Chernarus is actually based on an inland area (of Czech Republic), which is very contradictory to its depiction in Arma. 

#15 GasT

GasT

BAS

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 2059 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:51 AM

May I ask how many hours you have on Altis? Does not feel like you know it to well.

#16 BongSau

BongSau

Stone Cold Pimp

• Admin
  • 1629 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:00 AM

With the difference that Chernarus is actually based on an inland area (of Czech Republic), which is very contradictory to its depiction in Arma.

Altis is not an exact replica of Limnos either. I was just questioning what old mate meant by real.

#17 Rhapsodios

Rhapsodios

• 1452 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:20 AM

Altis is not an exact replica of Limnos either. I was just questioning what old mate meant by real.

I read a topic started by player here on the forums who had actually lived there on Limnos and commented how exact work BI made with Altis, military graveyards, scale of the island, number of villages and all. So it seems to me that Chernarus is more fictional in its design than Altis.

#18 curtisebear

curtisebear

Members

• 28 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:43 AM

Yeah guys, another chernarus thread, let's all comment on how it blows and is dumb rather than giving any insight as to why we have formulated that opinion. Not enough buildings for the "hardcore" 3rd person altis enthusiasts to camp in. If only chernarus had giant green military towers that provided 90% hard cover that you could shoot from the top of and see 1.5km in every direction or 100m long bush tunnels that conceal you 98%, or giant reed growth that you can completely hide inside. God, if chernarus only had all of those things then we could all effectively hide, ambush, and think we outplayed people that never saw us or had a chance to actually fight back. Chernarus is confirmed cancer, please just remove all of the 5 constantly capped servers so the population flourishes again.

#19 HazardousJesus

HazardousJesus

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

• 1638 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:47 AM

chernarus is pretty k,but i would kill to get altis back on its feet on the US servers though.. my surv is just vacationing there atm  :lol:

however, theres just something about chernarus. its simplicity.. its layout. i dont know.. more enterable buildings would be ok though.

#20 kuroi1988

kuroi1988

Members

• 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:38 AM

May I ask how many hours you have on Altis? Does not feel like you know it to well.

On Altis, mayhbe one or 2 hours, spent most o my time on Esseker until Chernarus was released. Altis feels too "open" and flat and everything kinda looks the same for me, so much so that if I have no compass or map it's kinda hard to tell which grassy knoll I was heading for before doing a 180 degree scan behind me. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users