**Weapon Geometry Shenanigans + Fixes**

17 replies to this topic

#1 Valtiel

Valtiel

Breaking Point Extraordinaire

• Developer
  • 1556 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:40 PM

I realized something today that may have been part of the "why the hell did that shot not hit/kill that guy?!" problem that occasionally spoils a good fight. This problem would be particularly prevalent when attempting to shoot someone in the back when their weapon is shouldered and when shooting at someone that is aiming in your direction. 

In every 3D model there is a Geometry LOD which, in the words of the BI wiki, "[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:sans-serif;font-size:13px;]Defines where the model will collide with other objects". Many objects also have a Fire Geometry which "[/color][color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:sans-serif;font-size:13px;]Defines where the model will collide with bullets & rockets. If this LOD is not present the Geometry LOD will be used instead". Weapons do NOT have a Fire Geometry so they use the Geometry LOD. As an example, here is the default Geometry LOD for the vanilla DMR:[/color]

Posted ImagePosted Image

The yellow outline is the weapon model, the black box is the Geometry. You've likely already noticed a potential problem; the Geometry is much larger than the actual gun in places. That box is what the game considers to be the "gun" as far as bullets are concerned since there is no Fire Geometry which means when placed on your back you have a giant box shaped bullet shield protecting you. This thick box also has the potential to protect you from face on shots when holding up your weapon to extent that it definitely should not.

I will be combing through all of Breaking Point's weapons and sizing the Geometry LODs more appropriately and/or adding more accurate Fire Geometry LODs to help fix this problem.  

#2 ARZUMATA

ARZUMATA

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 950 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:59 PM

Very interesting.

I suspected that gun protects from shots as it should be if it gets bullet in it, but like that....

#3 Guest_deathlyrage_*

Guest_deathlyrage_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:06 AM

Valtiel you legend. Good work.

#4 Choofterpook

Choofterpook

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 1234 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:16 AM

Nice one. Would explain the many, many shots which register a puff of dust when you'd expect a blood spurt.

#5 Meatshield

Meatshield

Captain of the short bus

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 2473 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:35 AM

Nice one. Would explain the many, many shots which register a puff of dust when you'd expect a blood spurt.

Definitely. I always just chalked it up to getting ARMAed, good to know what it is and how to possibly avoid it til it gets fixed.

#6 usernamejo

usernamejo

Forum Special Operative

• Breaking Point Alpha Tester
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:44 AM

is it possible to make weapons destructible by hitting it then? if we cant get read of this bug, lets make it a feature

#7 Cazh

Cazh

eX Imperator

• 2817 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:44 AM

this is good news

#8 Absolute

Absolute

Forum Juggernaut

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 732 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:37 AM

is it possible to make weapons destructible by hitting it then? if we cant get read of this bug, lets make it a feature

That would be an interesting feature.

Nice work Valtiel on identifying this larger than should be shield and working to make it more realistic. 

#9 Valtiel

Valtiel

• Developer
  • 1556 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:49 PM

Not a bug, just sloppy geometry that is easy to fix. I do not know if weapon destruction is possible, I doubt it at this point. 

Here is another example if problematic geometry. Tons of extra space that would have protected a majority of your character's back. 

Posted Image

#10 usernamejo

usernamejo

Forum Special Operative

• 106 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:12 AM

Not a bug, just sloppy geometry that is easy to fix. I do not know if weapon destruction is possible, I doubt it at this point. 

Here is another example if problematic geometry. Tons of extra space that would have protected a majority of your character's back. 

Posted Image

bayonet is not in shape though

how does this model correlated to a bullet size? can actual bullet fit between magazine and barrel?

p.s. 

Valtiel, if you be so king to check a PM regarding fraction points system from me? tnx

#11 Choofterpook

Choofterpook

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 1234 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:32 PM

Posted Image

lol, almost shaped like a proper medieval shield.

#12 plastic31

plastic31

Aww Shit, SOT!

• Breaking Point VIP
  • 806 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

Considering most of my shots are at center mass face to face with people, this should greatly increase my kill count going forward.

Awesome work man! I need a way to buy you a beer.

#13 Linkn

Linkn

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 1720 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

A keg plastic.

#14 Sickents

Sickents

Forum Juggernaut

• 551 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:59 PM

a beer factory for this guy!

#15 mmarionz

mmarionz

Forum Juggernaut

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 417 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:31 PM

explains a few odd moments possibly

#16 Guest_xUnknown_*

Guest_xUnknown_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:19 AM

Explains why i have shot people in the face and they just laugh n shoot me and kill me. Good work man you are AWSOME!

#17 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

Members

• 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:14 AM

Noticed this in DayZ Standalone and Arma 2 in general ( Arma 2 is shockingly bad for this ) where a shot that realistically would have killed an AI/player, simply becomes a puff of dust.  I think Rocket Hall has the BI guys coding it so that weapons that are hit by shots/axe will deteriorate in quality but protect the player until they become ruined. Such a system was written directly into DayZ: SA during the overhaul... it's not part of the A3 engine sadly and would be hard to replicate in a mod.

Nice work finding it Val, you could save yourself work and just make the bounding box fit the stock, grip and most of the barrel in the smallest space possible.

#18 Valtiel

Valtiel

• Developer
  • 1556 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:43 PM

Noticed this in DayZ Standalone and Arma 2 in general ( Arma 2 is shockingly bad for this ) where a shot that realistically would have killed an AI/player, simply becomes a puff of dust.  I think Rocket Hall has the BI guys coding it so that weapons that are hit by shots/axe will deteriorate in quality but protect the player until they become ruined. Such a system was written directly into DayZ: SA during the overhaul... it's not part of the A3 engine sadly and would be hard to replicate in a mod.

Nice work finding it Val, you could save yourself work and just make the bounding box fit the stock, grip and most of the barrel in the smallest space possible.

Thanks! This is exactly what I did, these changes have been in for at least a few weeks now so hopefully people are noticing less of the problems it was causing. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users