Photo

**Possible new ammo system, please vote!**

162 replies to this topic

Poll: New ammo system (875 member(s) have cast votes)

Change over or stay the same?

1. I like the way ammo and magazines are handled currently (114 votes [13.03%])

Percentage of vote: 13.03%

2. Voted I like the way the new ammo system sounds (697 votes [79.66%])

Percentage of vote: 79.66%

3. Voted I don't mind either way (64 votes [7.31%])

Percentage of vote: 7.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Vis3c

Vis3c

Forum Juggernaut

• Breaking Point VIP
  • 353 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:03 AM

i like it! because it would give the mod a new level of survival experience and it would give us something new to discover!

looking forward to this!

#22 delrazor

delrazor

Members

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:35 AM

I'm hesitant about this one...

One of the things that I really like and see as a highlight of Breaking Point is the streamlined things like loot containers and simply hitting R to reload my gun. Not saying I would disown the mod or anything like that, but it feels like it's adding a layer of clunkiness or "technical gameplay" to something that has been, from my viewpoint, a very streamlined and polished system.  I get where it's headed, but the current ammo system, along with the loot containers (trashcans, boxes, sacks) instead of loot laying solo on the ground, is something that I prefer with my gameplay style in Breaking Point.

This seems like it would be introducing a mini-game of ammo management to the system that seemed so easy to use, out of the way, and not broken.

#23 ThackerSS

ThackerSS

Forum Survivor

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:03 AM

I didn't read through the entire thread, but the OP sounds great.

Just having the ability to combine partial magazines into full would be a great thing as well.

#24 skurrr

skurrr

Forum Survivor

• Breaking Point Alpha Tester
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:51 AM

That's... AWESOME!

What about loading the gun when i'll have few mags(different bullet count) in my inventory? Will i have to reload gun manually(by meaning of drag&drop action) or pressing "r" will load magazine with higher amount of bullets//better ammo type ??

#25 plastic31

plastic31

Aww Shit, SOT!

• Breaking Point VIP
  • 806 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:58 AM

Make the ammo count found more realistic. I mean, who the fuck has a 5 round box of .22? No fuckingbody. That needs to be a 100 or 500 round box, or a can if loose ammo in the 40-1000 range. 5.45 should be in 20 round boxes and in clumps of 2-10 boxes. How will all the individual rounds impact server perf? If tracked as single rounds, that would end up being hundreds of thousands of bullets hoarded across a server

#26 Pyromani89

Pyromani89

Forum Special Operative

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:18 AM

I think this would be a bit too realistic and a hassle. Like Delrazor pointed out a few posts ago. 

Also curious about the performance impact this would have on the servers?  The perfect thing for me would be to keep the current ammo system, and maybe add a feature to combine mags.  If that is too difficult i'd say just leave it as it is.

#27 TheOneBenmaster

TheOneBenmaster

Forum Survivor

• 91 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:24 AM

This will be the best feature included ever since, like, forever, holy fuckin' hell.

I mean how many thousand times did I have 6 mags that were half-full or less, now being able to refill mags making 3 full mags...., that shit'd be overpowered /joke

BUT INB4 QQ from all these 'special' people saying "mimimi I dun like dis sistem coz nao cant start spraying people on sight coz need refill mags wit bullets QQ QQ QQ QQ"

One step farther towards realism, ei leik

#28 DuckStab

DuckStab

Forum Survivor

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:26 AM

Dont like it. Why complicate things? The DayZ system is horrid imo and this sounds alot like that. I'd really like a option to split/combine rounds though, but I would leave it with that.

#29 plastic31

plastic31

Aww Shit, SOT!

• Breaking Point VIP
  • 806 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:32 AM

I think everyone is focused on the mag combination aspect and not quite visualizing the rest of the system.

#30 Erduk

Erduk

Forum Survivor

• 68 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:42 AM

Either way, being able to combine mags is a win.

#31 kickrock

kickrock

Forum Special Operative

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 244 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:25 AM

I love the idea for one reason alone; Refilling the 100 or 100+ round mags for weapons such as the 240, Zafir and Mk2000. Ok, two reasons, to make me rage less when I find a Desert Warrior/1911 Modern and all I have are 12 Rnd green tapes. But I have to ask the question, how will this affect inventory slots, size and so on? Will a stack of 20 loose rounds and an empty magazine take up as much bag space as a loaded 20 round magazine of the same caliber? Or will a 20 loose rounds and an empty magazine take up more room than a loaded 20 round magazine? Logically, the later would take place, but we see bag space in Breaking Point goes by WEIGHT as opposed to actual slots.  Just a curious thought. Would be nice to try, play with and see how much different it is, although that starts to get into the whole realm of DayZ and this was something that I liked over DayZ. But then again, its not that big of a deal and depending on the effect it will have on storage space.  So yes, I would like to see the change. I'm willing to give everything a shot.

#32 Meatshield

Meatshield

Captain of the short bus

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 2473 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:40 AM

In general I would have to say yeah, this is a good thing. Being able to reload magazines, by itself, is a fantastic addition. Not sure how it is going to affect inventory management, but being able to consolidate ammo and mags after a firefight will be a great start.

Curious if this new system would allow a situation where you could hoard a bunch of red tape 7.62, unload all of those 5-round mags, and then repack those loose red tape rounds into empty 20-round mags...or into a 100 round box for a Zafir. In the former, it would take an average 7.62 battle rifle to the next step, making it far more powerful. In the latter, it might actually spell doom in quick fashion for helis. Or is that not intended functionality?

#33 BlondyOP

BlondyOP

Members

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:42 AM

I would like that better.

#34 mizifih

mizifih

Forum Survivor

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:54 AM

this:

... "mimimi I dun like dis sistem coz nao cant start spraying people on sight coz need refill mags wit bullets" ...

I agree, after all, we're playing a simulator. I mean, it's a survivor game running on a simulator that's changing it's core to welcome changes like that. So yeah, let's do this! Let's simulate the shit out of this zombie apocalypse ;)

#35 plastic31

plastic31

Aww Shit, SOT!

• Breaking Point VIP
  • 806 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:21 AM

I am notating names next to positive requests. once this goes into effect, and you all start freaking the fuck out at the fact that you have 200 loose bullets, and only 1 mag to put them in, and mid fight you empty your mag and have to reload it like the shotty for 2 minutes and get killed, then run in and post a thread about it, I am going to do my best to get you banned the fuck off the forums.

that being said, I am not opposed, I just want to really understand not just the mechanics, but the implementation. I know deathly well enough to know how much of a troll he is, and I fully expect to see bullets as far as the eye can see, but magazines being more rare than 7.62 suppressors :)  and as such, see you all running around reloading single rounds in the chamber while he flitters about with a backpack full of bricks knocking everyone's teeth out.

#36 mizifih

mizifih

Forum Survivor

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

I am notating names next to positive requests. once this goes into effect, and you all start freaking the fuck out at the fact that you have 200 loose bullets, and only 1 mag to put them in, and mid fight you empty your mag and have to reload it like the shotty for 2 minutes and get killed, then run in and post a thread about it, I am going to do my best to get you banned the fuck off the forums.   that being said, I am not opposed, I just want to really understand not just the mechanics, but the implementation. I know deathly well enough to know how much of a troll he is, and I fully expect to see bullets as far as the eye can see, but magazines being more rare than 7.62 suppressors :)  and as such, see you all running around reloading single rounds in the chamber while he flitters about with a backpack full of bricks knocking everyone's teeth out.

I just hope people that voted did so knowing what they are suggesting, like I did. If one played DayZ Standalone, it'll not be that much strange, even though it's easy to find a fair amount of magazines in Standalone. But yeah, I hear you. And so should everyone else.

#37 Deth

Deth

The Ghost

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 4577 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

The only thing that worries *me* is this could reduce the number of and or ferocity of gunfights.  I'm not against realism, but I don't want to see the action suffer because the action is what sets this mod apart from anything else that might call itself competition.  Is there any chance of trialing the system to see how it goes?  Or is that too much to ask?

#38 Myakuhaku

Myakuhaku

Forum Special Operative

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:34 AM

I like the concept of being able to split a 20 round 7.62 into two 10 round 7.62. So if you have a bolt action you can still pick up 20 rounders and use them. Another thing that is cool is if you have 2 7.62 mags one with 9 round left and another with 2 rounds left you can combine them into one mag with 11 rounds. I think it would be neat but will take a lot of getting used to.

#39 sab0t

sab0t

Forum Juggernaut

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:05 AM

Blackout .300 Clip - 2 Rounds

Blackout .300 Clip - 1 Round

Blackout .300 Clip - 4 Rounds

vs

.300 Rounds - 7

yes plz

#40 BadContrakt

BadContrakt

Breaking Point Extraordinaire

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 1777 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

- Weapons would still spawn with loaded magazines, however the bullet count in the mags might be random. This is minor and will probably happen regardless of the vote outcome.

[color=#b22222;]Random bullet count in magazines doesn't bother me a bit. Sounds interesting.[/color]

- Instead of finding other loaded mags in various loot locations you would find a mixture of empty magazines and boxes of bullets. Sometimes you may find individual bullets for certain rare types. These bullets would need to be added to their respective magazines before being loaded into the gun, however individual bullets could still be chambered for single shots. Loaded mags could be unpacked and reloaded with different bullet types should you want to change for performance reasons. 

[color=#b22222;]Finding empty magazines, boxes of ammo, and loading a single bullet into the chamber for a single shot is where I'm concerned. It's a lot of fumble-fucking around on an engine that is just already so clunky in nature. Having to open your inventory and drag a single round into the gun just simply sounds un-fun. The only way I would be down with this is if you could simply press R to reload a SINGLE bullet if and only if your inventory was in lack of a magazine. I've always dreamed of a system in Breaking Point that would allow us to repack half full mags to full ones and such, but not in such a clunky, un-fun, meticulous way. DayZ, for example, does this. It's terribly clunky, annoying to carry around 4 guns until you find a mag for one of them (as if DayZ has FOUR GUNS HAHAHAHAHA) but you get it. This of course is just my opinion.[/color]

[color=#b22222;]If something like this were implemented I would like to see it streamlined a bit better than other games have done it. That being said, I would like to see you be able to press R to load one bullet into the chamber. THAT is my SINGLE biggest concern with a system like this.[/color]

- Weapons that do NOT use external magazines (CZ rifles, M24A1, Winchester Model 70s, Remington Model 7, 700, and 300, M1903, Winchester Lever Rifles, Shotguns) would have the single load function as well as the option to add bullets to a bullet box which could then be loaded into the gun. Boxes would not need to be found because in real life you would load each bullet individually into the rifle's internal magazine or chamber. Arma does not support this tech however so the bullets would need to be packaged into a virtual container to allow firing more than one before reloading. For the sake of simplicity, things like shotgun shells and other more common ammo will be found in ready to use boxes much more often.

[color=#b22222;]This was confusing. I'll just have to see it for myself.[/color]

- Magazines can be reused once emptied.

[color=#b22222;]Fully expected.[/color]

- Unloading magazines would place bullets into a bullet storage box. So if you unload a 200rnd 5.56 box from an M249, the individual bullets would go into an ammo box in your inventory. This box can then be used to refill magazines or to pick individual bullets from.

[color=#b22222;]This is going to be a lot of extra inventory space taken up and will likely get annoying over time. We'll see.[/color]

That is it for the moment. I understand it is a lot to take in so please think carefully before voting. The major pros are the inherent flexibility of this setup, especially when it comes to re purposing extremely valuable LMG ammo boxes for other uses. The cons are complexity that would take some getting used to. Running and gunning would need to be prepared for in advance.

Thanks guys! 

[color=#b22222;]Overall I think this is something the community has wanted for a long time. Having those couple half empty mags drulling about in your inventory has always been a hassle. Do I load them in and use them up, or by having a half-empty mag in my gun am I endangering my life?[/color]

[color=#b22222;]The clunky feel, shitty responsiveness, having items being deleted, and having items bouncing from the top of the list down to the bottom then back up again all seems like a lot of Arma IIIs inventory system biting us in the ass for trying to implement a new system. The ideas stated for the most part don't bother me, but as we all know, Breaking Point has a very very firm line drawn between "fun" and "realism" and many times over have I seen good ideas be shot down because it's just "too realistic" or "On the line of being a little too real, and not so fun" and I am hoping that a simple request to refill half empty mags doesn't turn into a red-headed step child that we're all stuck with and must learn to love. Or put up with.[/color]

That being said, I have not voted yet. I would like to learn a little more about the new system before I make a decision.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users