Photo

**Possible new ammo system, please vote!**

162 replies to this topic

Poll: New ammo system (875 member(s) have cast votes)

Change over or stay the same?

1. I like the way ammo and magazines are handled currently (114 votes [13.03%])

Percentage of vote: 13.03%

2. Voted I like the way the new ammo system sounds (697 votes [79.66%])

Percentage of vote: 79.66%

3. Voted I don't mind either way (64 votes [7.31%])

Percentage of vote: 7.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Valtiel

Valtiel

Breaking Point Extraordinaire

• Developer
  • 1554 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:47 AM

There is a new scripting command on the Arma dev branch to handle individual ammo count in magazines (thanks to all who upvoted the feedback tracker!) and it gives us the ability to radically shift how ammo is handled in the game. I'm sure you are all familiar enough with it currently; you find magazines and load them in your gun. You can always load a mag into your gun if it has the same or lower bullet count as the mag the gun came with i.e. 10rnd mags can go into a gun that normally uses 20rnd mags. With this new scripting command we can now separate bullets and magazines to make ammo management much more realistic. HOWEVER, this a significant change and in explaining it to Deathly I realized that some people might not like it even though it is much closer to real life.

Here is how it would work, please read carefully before voting. 

- Weapons would still spawn with loaded magazines, however the bullet count in the mags might be random. This is minor and will probably happen regardless of the vote outcome. 

- Instead of finding other loaded mags in various loot locations you would find a mixture of empty magazines and boxes of bullets. Sometimes you may find individual bullets for certain rare types. These bullets would need to be added to their respective magazines before being loaded into the gun, however individual bullets could still be chambered for single shots. Loaded mags could be unpacked and reloaded with different bullet types should you want to change for performance reasons. 

- Weapons that do NOT use external magazines (CZ rifles, M24A1, Winchester Model 70s, Remington Model 7, 700, and 300, M1903, Winchester Lever Rifles, Shotguns) would have the single load function as well as the option to add bullets to a bullet box which could then be loaded into the gun. Boxes would not need to be found because in real life you would load each bullet individually into the rifle's internal magazine or chamber. Arma does not support this tech however so the bullets would need to be packaged into a virtual container to allow firing more than one before reloading. For the sake of simplicity, things like shotgun shells and other more common ammo will be found in ready to use boxes much more often.

- Magazines can be reused once emptied.

- Unloading magazines would place bullets into a bullet storage box. So if you unload a 200rnd 5.56 box from an M249, the individual bullets would go into an ammo box in your inventory. This box can then be used to refill magazines or to pick individual bullets from.

That is it for the moment. I understand it is a lot to take in so please think carefully before voting. The major pros are the inherent flexibility of this setup, especially when it comes to re purposing extremely valuable LMG ammo boxes for other uses. The cons are complexity that would take some getting used to. Running and gunning would need to be prepared for in advance.

Thanks guys!  

#2 HazardousJesus

HazardousJesus

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

• Breaking Point Alpha Tester
  • 1628 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:53 AM

cool concept! reminds me of that old S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call of Pripyat mod. you need both the ammo boxes and magazines to actually LOAD you're gun.. looking forward to this new feature  ;)

#3 Klitsie

Klitsie

Forum Special Operative

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:03 AM

Posted Image

#4 RGGKieran

RGGKieran

Members

• 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:13 AM

I like this idea.

This also includes being able to load x amount of bullets into a magizine from vairing types

AP/tracer etc in the same magizine at what every number you see fit?

#5 ARZUMATA

ARZUMATA

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 950 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:19 AM

Yes, yes and yes. I just though yesterday that how great it could be just leave empty mags in military areas or refill some magazines into full ones and leave emptied somewhere in stash.

So yes!

And speaking of tracers or other types of bullets:

It would also be a nice addition to add various bullets of same caliber into one magazine like 4 normal shots, 1 tracer, 4 + 1 etc, or keep high velocity ones with normal ones.

However If you put high velocity ammo into standard magazine (ammo physically fit) you may not know if this standard ammo or not because of the icon. This could confuse players. The icon can change automatically however or if you can set custom color to it it would be even better.

IIRC arma considers each bullet as separate entity (like velocity, ttl, tracer (bool), etc) it might be possible, not sure actually if scripting engine can do that, bullet type may be dependent on magazine type.  Ah, answered below

#6 Smitti

Smitti

The Grumpiest Head Forum Moderator

• Senior Admin
  • 1535 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:22 AM

Sounds interesting indeed

#7 Sickents

Sickents

Forum Juggernaut

• 551 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:33 AM

Do it! been waiting for this to arise for awile

#8 Guest_deathlyrage_*

Guest_deathlyrage_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:34 AM

Please note that you will not be able to mix special ammo types with non-special ammo types due to an Arma 3 limitation.

#9 Boaby

Boaby

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 1204 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:41 AM

sounds a bit llike the way dayz does it and that it just difficult for difficulties sake , having to goto inventory exche time to load in rounds and such is such a big fuss and makes it more difficult simply because it can, that's just me though and hopefully it wont turn out like that.

#10 Guest_deathlyrage_*

Guest_deathlyrage_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:46 AM

sounds a bit llike the way dayz does it and that it just difficult for difficulties sake , having to goto inventory exche time to load in rounds and such is such a big fuss and makes it more difficult simply because it can, that's just me though and hopefully it wont turn out like that.

I wouldn't know about comparing a concept system against a game that has nothing to do with Breaking Point that has different implementation.

#11 AndreaLionheart

AndreaLionheart

Weapon Expert

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 301 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:50 AM

I kinda like the idea of the new system but also i have some doubts,will the new system change the frequency bullet we find around(if we find half magazines that means less bullets)? Also will it impact the inventory in some ways? Will it take more space the more ammo you get into your ammo box or will it remain the same weight once you got your ammo box?

#12 Guest_deathlyrage_*

Guest_deathlyrage_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:06 AM

I kinda like the idea of the new system but also i have some doubts,will the new system change the frequency bullet we find around(if we find half magazines that means less bullets)? Also will it impact the inventory in some ways? Will it take more space the more ammo you get into your ammo box or will it remain the same weight once you got your ammo box?

Ammo box weight won't change based on the number of ammo you have in that box, it will be a generic amount. 

We may be changing the magazines to spawn with a random number of bullets regardless of implementation of this system.

#13 hersic

hersic

Forum Juggernaut

• 428 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:13 AM

yes plz

#14 Smitti

Smitti

The Grumpiest Head Forum Moderator

• Senior Admin
  • 1535 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:16 AM

If random bullet count is implemented, will it extend to heli crash loot spawns as well? My thinking is a military chopper wouldn't exactly be loaded with half-empty magazines in the ammo lockers... I would be in favour of a random bullet count if this new ammunition system does come about. I really like the sound of it, I always switch out the green/red/yellow band for regular rounds when dealing with zeds, so I often end up with a couple of half-spent mags in the backpack. Would be good if we could combine them.

#15 Guest_Gav_*

Guest_Gav_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:20 AM

would there be a "repack mags" or "split mags" like in arma 2?

Repacking mags if you have 5 mags with 10-15 bullets in them repact for a few 30's etc.

#16 ParsleyLion

ParsleyLion

Forum Survivor

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:20 AM

Love the idea :)

#17 xGinoCazinox

xGinoCazinox

Forum Special Operative

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:41 AM

This is great!!

#18 Aussie

Aussie

Forum Juggernaut

• 304 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:44 AM

#19 Boaby

Boaby

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 1204 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:49 AM

I wouldn't know about comparing a concept system against a game that has nothing to do with Breaking Point that has different implementation.

what I meant was that I hope the system your planning on putting into place isn't similar to the dayz style one where its is just difficult for difficulties sake , it overcomplicates things and turns firefights into a mess of fumblimg inventory reloads. I meant no harm and not comparing it to breaking point in any way.

if you've ever seen dayz's reload inventory bullet manipulation youll know what I mean by difficult for the sake of being difficult , much like it it to use a compass on dayz.

#20 mizifih

mizifih

Forum Survivor

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:54 AM

would there be a "repack mags" or "split mags" like in arma 2?

Repacking mags if you have 5 mags with 10-15 bullets in them repact for a few 30's etc.

You would be able to do that manually, removing the bullets from one half empty mag and then add the bullets into another. So yeah, you would be able to redistribute your bullets between mags. The concept is not actually new, DayZ SA ammo system work like that in a lot of ways, if not identical.

I'd love to have a system like that in Breaking Point.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users