There is a new scripting command on the Arma dev branch to handle individual ammo count in magazines (thanks to all who upvoted the feedback tracker!) and it gives us the ability to radically shift how ammo is handled in the game. I'm sure you are all familiar enough with it currently; you find magazines and load them in your gun. You can always load a mag into your gun if it has the same or lower bullet count as the mag the gun came with i.e. 10rnd mags can go into a gun that normally uses 20rnd mags. With this new scripting command we can now separate bullets and magazines to make ammo management much more realistic. HOWEVER, this a significant change and in explaining it to Deathly I realized that some people might not like it even though it is much closer to real life.
Here is how it would work, please read carefully before voting.
- Weapons would still spawn with loaded magazines, however the bullet count in the mags might be random. This is minor and will probably happen regardless of the vote outcome.
- Instead of finding other loaded mags in various loot locations you would find a mixture of empty magazines and boxes of bullets. Sometimes you may find individual bullets for certain rare types. These bullets would need to be added to their respective magazines before being loaded into the gun, however individual bullets could still be chambered for single shots. Loaded mags could be unpacked and reloaded with different bullet types should you want to change for performance reasons.
- Weapons that do NOT use external magazines (CZ rifles, M24A1, Winchester Model 70s, Remington Model 7, 700, and 300, M1903, Winchester Lever Rifles, Shotguns) would have the single load function as well as the option to add bullets to a bullet box which could then be loaded into the gun. Boxes would not need to be found because in real life you would load each bullet individually into the rifle's internal magazine or chamber. Arma does not support this tech however so the bullets would need to be packaged into a virtual container to allow firing more than one before reloading. For the sake of simplicity, things like shotgun shells and other more common ammo will be found in ready to use boxes much more often.
- Magazines can be reused once emptied.
- Unloading magazines would place bullets into a bullet storage box. So if you unload a 200rnd 5.56 box from an M249, the individual bullets would go into an ammo box in your inventory. This box can then be used to refill magazines or to pick individual bullets from.
That is it for the moment. I understand it is a lot to take in so please think carefully before voting. The major pros are the inherent flexibility of this setup, especially when it comes to re purposing extremely valuable LMG ammo boxes for other uses. The cons are complexity that would take some getting used to. Running and gunning would need to be prepared for in advance.