FAQ TESTING

6 replies to this topic

#1 tc2617

tc2617

Forum Juggernaut

• Breaking Point Alpha Tester
  • 314 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:05 PM

I'm putting this here for my safe keeping, and maybe your assistance. I am currently helping the developers keep the bug reports clean, so I figured we should start a FAQ about the items that tend to keep being reported as bugs which currently can not be fixed, or items that hinder us from resolving many bug reports.

1) On Reporting Bugs

Bad English:
 - Is English not your primary language? Don't Panic. That is acceptable. If a language translation engine can create a proper sentence in English, then by all means use it. Many times it is easier to read the output of a translation engine, than broken English.
Google Translate
 - Is English your native language? Then please use proper grammar, or at least try to do such.
Wikipedia: English Grammar

Commenting On a Bug:
 - Saying "This happened to me as well" is not very helpful. Believe me, I want to say it too.
 - Adding pictures, video, detailed explanation on how to reproduce are extremely beneficial.
 - Expanding the list of affected items is also helpful. For instance, right now there is a graphical glitch where the bolt and other elements of a weapon float around it. Even though the problem was first noticed with an M4 300 it affects almost every weapon with attachments in the game.
Bug Tracker Item: 1106

Exploits:

- If you feel like what you are reporting is an exploit feel free to select the private option. This will prevent the community at large from performing the exploit while it exists.
 - If you need to divulge private information (e.g. base location, server, glitch spot, favorite camping spot) about where the bug took place please select the private option.

Is This Bug Worth Reporting? (Thanks to SpamHands for reminding me about this)
 - Yes a bug is worth reporting, but there are situations where it might not be worth reporting. If you can answer a few simple questions then the bug is worth reporting. 
1) Has someone already reported the bug? (No is good for you)
2) Is the action not doing what the Wiki or some developer post says it should be doing? (Yes is good for you)
3) Can you provide more information than "It's broke, fix it?" (Yes is good for you) 

Definitely if you can answer "No, Yes, Yes" top the above questions then you should create a new bug.

Privacy:
 - If you think that your report contains sensitive information base location, exploit, glitch, etc. Then select the private option. The community at large will not be able to see your bug's content.

Speed Up the Processing of Bug Tickets:
- Only enter related bugs into the ticket.
BAD: Bug Tracker Item: 58
 - Reporting Combat Log when log out timer ran out? Good. Reporting problems with Desynchronization? Good. Both? Bad form.
GOOD: Bug Tracker Item: 19
- Reporting same issue with multiple vehicles? Good.

Ticket Stuck at "New":
 - Relax, the developers and testers are all players. They may not be at a spot where they can test your item. For example, at the time of this write up I am trying to test a bug that exists when a Traitor Outlaw becomes good. I have 1500 points to go for this to happen. If your bug require's a different class, say Survivalist, that is going to be a while before I get to it.

What To Include In A Bug Report:
 - This is partially covered in "Speed Up the Processing of Bug Tickets"
1) Be clear in your explanation. We do not need to know what type of cat your Grandmother has. We would like to know what you were doing around the time that your had a problem.
2) Reference a comment about how something should work. Not all people trying to resolve items are the developers. We may not know where the latest information is. So, Is there a Wiki article about how the BP mechanic should be working? Paste the URL in the additional information. Is there a developer comment? Reference what thread and sub-forum it is in.
3) Include reproduction steps. This is very important. If you can provide steps to reproduce what you did, you can almost guarantee that you have won the Clear Explanation award. If you can't do this: DON'T PANIC. Try to give as much pertinent information as possible.
4) Be objective. If you think something is a bug because you feel like it is wrong, then chances are it is not a bug. If you wish to be subjective about the game mechanics, then the Feedback sub-forum is the place to express those thoughts.

2) On Specific Items

Attachment Missing:
 - Placing any weapon with an attachment(s) into a back pack or crate runs the risk of losing the attachments when pulling it back out. (Or at least it did)
 - Server restart will wipe the attachment(s) on the weapon if it is in the crate.
 - Logging out with and attachment(s) on a weapon will wipe the attachment(s).
 - Safe way to store a weapon:

Bug Tracker Item: 42
Bug Tracker Item: 19

Car Stuck (Off road):
 - Arma 3 Physics issue.
 (Street car + off road = stuck car. Who thought off roading in a street car was a good idea?)
Bug Tracker Item: 350

Collision Bugs:
- Zombies hitting through walls
- Zombies glitching walking through walls / doors.
- Players glitching through walls
- Players getting pushed by zombies through walls.

- Zombies opening doors.
Arma 3 bug. BP cannot fix these things.

Duplication:
 - Backpack / Crate / Vehicle (Planes / Trains / ...)
 - There are many ways to duplicate items. Not all of them are fixable by the BP developers. If you find a way to duplicate an item that is not already reported and open, nor can you find evidence that it is reported to BIS then report it.
DeathlyRage's List of Arma 3 Bug Tracker Issues to Upvote

GPS Waypoints (After Death / Without unit in slot):
 - Apparently Arma 3 doesn't let you remove this.
Bug Tracker Item: 1201

Missing Items:
 - This could happen in a few ways.

1) Picked up Back Pack / Utility Belt / Tac Vest
The items were lost when you picked up the vest piece.
Wrong Way:
    NOTE: I had recently died and this was the first body slot piece that I was putting on during that life.

Right Way:

2) Logged in (reported not yet confirmed)

3) Possibly more to come.

Player Died to Environment ( zombie, wall, rock, starvation, etc.) I got the kill: (Need to reconfirm this)
 - Regardless if this is good or bad to you, the current kill tracking, as of 2014/05/20, system tracks who shot you last. If you hit a player and that player dies to the environment you will be credited for that kill. I do not recall any information on whether healing them up to 100% removes this.
( I'm thinking the guy in this report was credited with his friend's kill because of this)
Bug Tracker Item: 1197

Teleported / Not where I logged out (When logging in):
(I don't expect this to last long, but a lot of people were experiencing this)
 - Jumping fences / crates can do weird things to your character at times.
Bug Tracker Item: 953
Bug Tracker Item: 1294

#2 R4ziel

R4ziel

Forum Special Operative

• 182 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:14 PM

The link you posted shows me something about cars on slanted terrain just so you know :) 

#3 tc2617

tc2617

Forum Juggernaut

• 314 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:48 PM

Thanks, I hadn't meant to post it earlier.

#4 R4ziel

R4ziel

Forum Special Operative

• 182 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:05 AM

Thank you for this, hopefully this would help a couple of people file better bug reports to get them cleaned up quicker :) 

Awesome post :)

#5 enamel

enamel

Breaking Point Extraordinaire

• Breaking Point Donator
  • 1424 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

Nice post dude.

#6 BorgeJ

BorgeJ

Members

• 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:14 AM

Hi,

I would love to help out if the development team could use any programming help.

31 year old guy from Norway, currently working as a senior developer at a firm and loves this game! ;)

Shout out if you guys need an extra hand.

Kind regards

Børge Jakobsen

#7 Desolator

Desolator

Up Close & In Full Auto

• Breaking Point VIP
  • 1183 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:59 AM

Hi,

I would love to help out if the development team could use any programming help.

31 year old guy from Norway, currently working as a senior developer at a firm and loves this game! ;)

Shout out if you guys need an extra hand.

Kind regards

Børge Jakobsen

Maybe send Deathly a tweet or join their Discord and offer your assistance.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FAQ, TESTING

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users